Do you want to be informed on new Posts on this Thread? (members only)

S&S Swan General - What is a safe ocean going yacht?
25 September 2014 - 18:38

Shannon Boat Company, Bristol, RI, one of the world's finest builders of ocean-going boats, just announced that they would no longer be building new boats.The demand for new, high-quality sailing yachts seems to have declined and with it so too the number of companies building quality sailing yachts. This was a sad announcement but one that seemed inevitable; sailors appear to be a dying breed. Certainly those, like the members of this association, who appreciate quality-of-build, sea-going comfort and safety and positive sailing characteristics seem to be disappearing.

26 October 2014 - 11:09

I read a recent article in one of the UK yachting magazines which made me laugh. "Most of the massed produced modern yachts are capable of making a downwind Atlantic crossing, but few are capable of completing the return windward journey safely" It was suggested they should be shipped back.

Swan 411 010 (capable of windward journeys)

27 October 2014 - 10:07

That must be reassuring for the owners. What mag was it. I would like to read that.

Mike

planning for the second return trip on Storm Svale. A trip only for upwind capable boats (;-)

30 October 2014 - 17:57

I read a recent article in one of the UK yachting magazines which made me laugh. "Most of the massed produced modern yachts are capable of making a downwind Atlantic crossing, but few are capable of completing the return windward journey safely" It was suggested they should be shipped back. Swan 411 010 (capable of windward journeys)

Indeed the 411 can point - no problem - very nicely - you're going to get wet, but hey, that's the deal......it's nice to know your boat can go into it, I think!

Geoff, Corazon, 411 #41

• Threads : 1707
  • Members: 821
  • Online Members: 1