Do you want to be informed on new Posts on this Thread? (members only)

S&S Swan Maintenance - Extra pair of winches at the cockpit?
24 November 2012 - 16:28

Extra pair of winches at the cockpit?

Hello!

While searching for a S&S Swan I have found out that some of the yachts have only two winches at the cockpit for the sheets of the genua. This makes it quite difficult to handle them while sailing single-handed. Has anyone installed an extra pair of winches at the cockpit so that the helmsman could handle the winches easily? Any advice how to construct the base for the extra winches are wellcome.

Best Regards

Pertti

28 November 2012 - 21:37

I have. To make the jib sheets manageable from the helm of my 1969 Swan 43, I installed a pair of Anderson 58s outside the cockpit combing at the ends of my traveler. This has worked very well.
I could not relocate the existing stainless steel bases since the angle between the deck and the combing is noticeably different. Thus, I drew up stainless steel bases similar the the originals adjusting for the angle, height, and diameter and bolt spacing for the Andersons. I had an architectural metal shop I have worked with fabricate the two bases. I will look for my drawings but they may not directly relate to your location.

Charlie,
Freya 43-08

01 December 2012 - 15:46

I have. To make the jib sheets manageable from the helm of my 1969 Swan 43, I installed a pair of Anderson 58s outside the cockpit combing at the ends of my traveler. This has worked very well. I could not relocate the existing stainless steel bases since the angle between the deck and the combing is noticeably different. Thus, I drew up stainless steel bases similar the the originals adjusting for the angle, height, and diameter and bolt spacing for the Andersons. I had an architectural metal shop I have worked with fabricate the two bases. I will look for my drawings but they may not directly relate to your location. Charlie, Freya 43-08

Thanks Charlie! I am looking forward to see the picture of your construction if possible,

Best Regards

Pertti

31 December 2012 - 14:39

Hello!

While searching for a S&S Swan I have found out that some of the yachts have only two winches at the cockpit for the sheets of the genua. This makes it quite difficult to handle them while sailing single-handed. Has anyone installed an extra pair of winches at the cockpit so that the helmsman could handle the winches easily? Any advice how to construct the base for the extra winches are wellcome.

Best Regards

Pertti

I have.  My Dulcinea, S&S Swan 37/17, had two pairs of winches in the cockpit.  The secondaries near the helm were Barlow 24s, which were too small to handle the genoa.  I removed them and replaced them with a second pair of Barlow 28s, the same size as the primary winches.  I made two templates of the base of the Barlow 28s, then added to these templates the holes in the coamings.  The coamings were not identical.  I had a machine shop fabricate 1/4" stainless plates matching these templates which I bolted to the coaming.  The genoa sheet leads were not proper, so I added stand-up blocks to the toe rails.  This system has worked well while singlehanding for several years. 

Cheers! 

--Richard McLaren 

31 December 2012 - 16:30

Dear Richard,

could you post some photos?

Thanks a lot, and Fair Winds!

matteo (38/067 Only You)

03 January 2013 - 19:16

Matteo,

Here is an old photo showing the stainless steel plate under the winch.  Cheeers! 

--Rick McLaren

1970 37/17 Dulcinea

• Threads : 1702
  • Members: 821
  • Online Members: 0