Do you want to be informed on new Posts on this Thread? (members only)

S&S Swan Maintenance - 44 quadrant stop- Lars?
16 December 2012 - 02:59

44 quadrant stop- Lars?
As long as I have owned 44/004 Hatha I have wondered why the stop for her steering quadrant is offset about 50mm to starboard.

Now, as part of our restoration, I am fitting her original quadrant onto a new rudder post we have had made, which doesn't have the squared off section like the original. The old quadrant has been bored to fit the new round post and will be clamped and pinned once it is perfectly aligned.

Unfortunately I no longer have the original post to check if that square machining aligned the quadrant with the centerline of the boat with the rudder centered, or if it was rotated a couple of degrees to compensate.

Is there a reason that the quadrant stop should be offset to starboard, and the quadrant installed "off center"? Might this provide a better lead for one of the cables off of the sheave? I can easily install the quadrant this way but it just doesn't seem right. I have no problem having a new stop made and centering it if that is the right way to go.

Any advice appreciated
Tonyh 44 04 Hatha

16 December 2012 - 16:25

Dear tonyh
Thank you for your enquiry. It is likely that the rudder stock has twisted a few degrees as a result of running aground when going astern. This forced the rudder to the side, the quadrant then hit the end stop, and if the impact was big enough, twisted the stock at its weakest point in the square section. This is known to have happened in a few cases.
The resulting unsymmetry has then been compensated for by moving the end stops, and they can now be moved back.
It could be pointed out that the helmsman can not cause such overloading with the wheel.
The original set up uses 38 degrees rudder angle each side, can that be arranged? It is suggested that you also check that the steering chain is centered on the sprocket with the rudder midships.
Kind regards
Lars

16 December 2012 - 17:17

Dear Lars

Thank you so much for your speedy reply, and you have given exactly the answer that I was looking for. I now know how to go forward.
Best regards

Tonyh 44/04 Hatha

• Threads : 1703
  • Members: 821
  • Online Members: 2