Do you want to be informed on new Posts on this Thread? (members only)

S&S Swan Maintenance - Sliding companionway hatch
10 January 2013 - 03:01

Sliding companionway hatch

Has anyone come up with an elegant solution to lock the sliding companionway hatch on the 41s, 44s and others?

The only thing I can think of is a hasp bent up at the end to engage a catch mounted on the small vertical section forward, but I hate to think of the effects over time of these two parts crashing when the hatch slides closed.

Thanks for input, I will post a photo if I come up with anything successful.

Tonyh 44-004 Hatha

11 January 2013 - 18:10

Dear Tony
No suggestions so far, but I would like to come up with one. Requires that there is a slot between the hatch and the garage above it, enabling a steel bar to be inserted. The bar has a 90 degree bend at the end. The bent part is horizontal when inserted, but turned down to vertical when it has passed the hatch edge, and then prevents the hatch from opening. A padlock is attached to the bar outside the garage, and arranged so it prevents the bend from turning horizontal. Maybe a sketch would be helpful?
Kind regards
Lars

11 January 2013 - 19:04

Thank you Lars. I'm not sure I fully grasp the concept, does it require a catch to be installed to accept the padlock? I'm trying to stay away from anything that one could step on etc.

You got me thinking though, could some kind of plunger be set up, or better yet a stainless plunger lock be installed, through the forward edge of the hatch and catch on the ledge that forms the companionway opening? There is probably close to 50 mm width available there and I can make any kind of wood handle for the new plexiglass that will adjust thickness and tidy things up. Any suggestions where to find a simple stainless plunger lock?

The arrow bottom right shows the companionway corner where we might want the lock.

Tonyh

12 January 2013 - 11:15

Dear Tony
Here a side view of the suggested locking arrangement at the aft end of the hatch.
The thickness of the hook should fill the slot between the top of the plexi and the garage above it. If the slot is wider at the plexi edge the hook vertical part needs an extension upwards.
When the hook has been inserted into the slot and turned vertical the outside transverse piece is put over it, a recess and a hole for the upstanding part is needed. The transverse piece secures the hook in vertical position, and needs to be long enough so it can not be forced into turning the hook horizontal.
The outside hook part protruding above the transverse piece has a hole for a padlock. No parts need to be attached to the hatch.
SuperSecure version could have two hooks joined by a longer transverse piece.
A plunger lock comes close to the edge of the plexi, and is probably fairly easy to break loose.
Kind regards
Lars

12 January 2013 - 17:15

Dear Lars

Excellent idea! I am starting teak decks today, will have to remove the garage cover and see how much space I have between the plexi and the garage ceiling.

Will post a photo when it's done.

Best regards

Tonyh

18 January 2013 - 19:33

Dear Tonyh,

I have the original Nautor lock, and it's exactly as Lars explains in his reply. Unfortunately I am not going to the boat for the next three week as I will be in USA, but as soon as I will be back in Italy I will get detailed photos and will post them.

Fair winds!

matteo (38/067 Only You)

10 February 2013 - 20:46

Dear Tonyh,

here you are, I am attaching JPG's of original Nautor stainless steel locker:

Fair winds!

matteo (38/067 Only You)

10 February 2013 - 20:47

11 February 2013 - 06:09

Dear Matteo

Thank you for taking the time to take & post the photos. They make Lars' drawing perfectly clear, and I will have one made up

Best regards

Tonyh 44/04 Hatha

• Threads : 1702
  • Members: 821
  • Online Members: 2