Do you want to be informed on new Posts on this Thread? (members only)

S&S Swan Maintenance - Respray
25 January 2013 - 14:46

Respray

Just wanted to thank those who offered advice about respraying our Swan.

We have now had this done and I thought I would show a few pictures!

The first one is a bit grainy, but you can see the general browning of the hull and some patches that had been done particularly at midships.  It was at the point that even the guy we use to polish her didn’t want to anymore!

The compatibility test showed some doggy undercoat which had to be removed. Also as they were sanding the hull down in preparation for the undercoat a whole host of problems were revealed. The port side was the worst, but the starboard side had a fair amount as did the stern.  Not only did this take a lot of time to reveal, but also to dry out sufficiently to allow the repairs to be done.

But after all that the end result is just lovely!

(First person to scratch her will be hung drawn and quartered!)

25 January 2013 - 17:59

It looks really a very good job! Is it awlgrip off white? Can you explain better to me ( probably I am not familiar with some of the words) what are the round brownish areas? Were there bumps on the resin or areas that had been filled with plaster or had to be repolished again? thank you, it is a really good result!

26 January 2013 - 06:50

Beautiful! Is that Awlgrip or gel coat?

I envy you being able to work in that building.

We just Awlgripped Hatha , and here in Southern California there are no sheds. We have to work out doors so a paint job is challenging to say the least!

Congratulations!

Tonyh 44/04 Hatha

26 January 2013 - 14:09

Many thanks.

She was done in Awlgrip Gline Stark white.

The round brown areas in the 2nd picture are areas that were damaged.  This picture was taken when they had exposed all the damage, and ground back to good; just before building the skin up again.

These were areas where the hull had been hit, and either the layers of grp delaminated or a whole had been badly repaired.  In both cases this had allowed water to penetrate the laminate and in one area into the foam in the longitudinal stringer itself.  Unfortunatly the foam in these older boats is open cell foam so allows moisture in.  Modern boats have closed cell foam, so dont have that problem.

The first picture below is and example of damage that was exposed.  It had never been repaired, just covered with filler and painted. 

In the second picture you can see they are building up the layers of laminate again.

A fairly lengthy process!!

• Threads : 1702
  • Members: 821
  • Online Members: 0