Do you want to be informed on new Posts on this Thread? (members only)

Sail & Rigging - Closed body turnbuckles?
29 March 2013 - 01:23

Closed body turnbuckles?

Hello all

Hatha's rigging package has been listed and sent out for bids using all Navtec parts, including the stainless turnbuckle covers.

One vendor came back with an interesting alternative. BSI in Rhode Island quoted their own rod and fittings as well as their own calibrated, closed body SL5 turnbuckle. I've attached a picture

Using this turnbuckle would eliminate using the Navtec covers, so the total cost comes out about the same.

Seems like a great idea and the turnbuckle looks great but after thinking about it for a while questions arise.

The screw and body both appear to be stainless, so what about galling?

The body is closed, so you'll never see if the threads are about to back out. What about corrosion in that closed environment which you won't be able to monitor without taking the turnbuckles apart?

Does anybody have any knowledge of the hardware or the issues mentioned? I like the look of this set up but would not consider using it without the right answers.

Thanks

Tonyh 44/04 Hatha

29 March 2013 - 10:21

Hi TonyH,

Most makers of stainless steel turnbuckles these days insert a bronze bushing in the threaded body of the turnbuckle.  The stainless stud will then thread into bronze.

I have seen test results when one of these turnbuckles was pulled to destruction and it was not the bushing that pulled out so, done right, it is the perfect solution.

You can see the bushing easily with the naked eye so you know what you are getting.

Good luck

David Samuelson  43/12

29 March 2013 - 19:10

They certainly look nice. http://www.bsidk.com/site.asp?sideid=3&w=1280 But my concern would be as you suggest a)corrosion and b) adjustability.

Wrt a) Our traditional ones had been in situe with the previous owner for probably 10 years.  They came apart ok, even if we did need a bit of heat on one or two!  So these with regular maintenance should be Ok I would have thought.

Wrt b) most turn buckles have two threaded body parts, and the rod can rotate in one of these, if required.  The SL5 looks as if it needs the body to be able to rotate on the rod.  I'm not clear on how you tighten the turnbuckle up, without the rod rotating?

Other consideration, is spares worldwide.  Can you get them?

Be interested in the quotes as ours needs doing!

29 March 2013 - 19:28

Dear Tonyh
Pls note that Navtec has a similar one denoted C890
Kind regards
Lars

29 March 2013 - 21:50

They certainly look nice. http://www.bsidk.com/site.asp?sideid=3&w=1280 But my concern would be as you suggest a)corrosion and b) adjustability.

Wrt a) Our traditional ones had been in situe with the previous owner for probably 10 years.  They came apart ok, even if we did need a bit of heat on one or two!  So these with regular maintenance should be Ok I would have thought.

Wrt b) most turn buckles have two threaded body parts, and the rod can rotate in one of these, if required.  The SL5 looks as if it needs the body to be able to rotate on the rod.  I'm not clear on how you tighten the turnbuckle up, without the rod rotating?

Other consideration, is spares worldwide.  Can you get them?

Be interested in the quotes as ours needs doing!

My old bronze turnbuckles came apart with little persuasion, seems a shame to replace them but they are probably 40 years old.

I am told that the BSI body rotates on a brass bushing on the rod head, and that "galling is not an issue". I don't know as of yet whether the body is brass bushed, but I would consider that a big plus.

email me and I will forward the quotes if you think they might help.

Tonyh

29 March 2013 - 21:54

Dear Tonyh Pls note that Navtec has a similar one denoted C890 Kind regards Lars

Thanks Lars, I will look into that one as well

Do you have any thoughts on the whole idea of open body vs. closed?

Thanks

Tonyh

30 March 2013 - 09:59

Dear Tonyh
Many consider the closed one more elegant, but pls note that the adjustment range is much shorter.
Navtec also have an "intermediate" model, C800
Kind regards
Lars

• Threads : 1707
  • Members: 821
  • Online Members: 0