Do you want to be informed on new Posts on this Thread? (members only)

S&S Swan General - Lifting a swan 47#039
19 May 2013 - 08:09

Lifting a swan 47#039
hi everyone. Haslar marina has installed a sealift. You sail the boat into an underwater dock. The dock is raised and the yacht sits on her keel and is lifted clear. I have a concern that a swan 47 wil topple forward. Does anyone have any views? I thought that bringing the anchor chain back to the cockpit might help?
Regards
Mark

19 May 2013 - 11:16

Dear Mark
You are right that the keel sole is so far aft that the yacht is likely to be nose heavy. It improves the situation if the anchor chain is brought aft, how much is there and what size? Other heavy items forward?
Suggest that the yacht be secured with the main and spinnaker halyards taken from the mast top to a strong point some distance aft. You should inform your concern to the marina personnel.
Kind regards
Lars

19 May 2013 - 11:18

Hi Mark,
I have a Swan 38 (Pandra) in Gosport Marina.
I booked a lift with Sealift in Cowes a couple of weeks ago.
She started tipping forward so they stopped.
Apparently the one in Haslar is slightly different but, having looked at the underwater profile Haslar also confirmed they were unable to lift her.
I had her lifted and scrubbed at the marina with their crane - some £40 more
Regards
Tom

29 May 2013 - 21:52

Dear Mark,

I have a Swan 411, Wotan. I also tried to have her lifted at Haslar. When I showed them drawings of the hull and ,as I was concerned about her underwater profile, they would not accept Wotan on the lift. So I never even go to try!

Regards,

Anthony

24 August 2013 - 20:49

Dear Mark,

I have a Swan 411, Wotan. I also tried to have her lifted at Haslar. When I showed them drawings of the hull and ,as I was concerned about her underwater profile, they would not accept Wotan on the lift. So I never even go to try!

Regards,

Anthony

We ultimately took her round the corner to Endeavour Quay for a conventional lift. Only slightly more expensive and the crane operators were absolutely fantastic

• Threads : 1707
  • Members: 821
  • Online Members: 1