Do you want to be informed on new Posts on this Thread? (members only)

S&S Swan General - 37 Deck Layout
03 June 2013 - 01:24

37 Deck Layout

Wise people of the forum! I have more questions.

So I bought the Swan 37 #55 on reputation alone. Never having sailed a S&S Swan, and this one was not in a state to take her for a test sail. I have no doubt she will be a dream to sail.

My question relates to the cockpit layout. The primary winches are self tailing the aft winches are not. There was three cleats on the top of the coaming. What are they all for? I can see how the aft winches not being self tailing would need a cleat but what are the oher two for? They are all off now in order to paint the deck but I am tempted to leave off the forward two cleats if I cant find a need for them. I am guessing they could be useful to hold lazy sheets and the furling line ect?

I have attached the best picture I could find of hte cockpit as it was before, sorry its not a great photo

Thank you!

Fletch

Swan 37#55 (no name yet)

03 June 2013 - 01:31

Sorry the photo didnt work first time

12 June 2013 - 14:30

Hi, Fletch.

If istalled, 37 has spinnaker sheet winches located on cabin roof. The three cleats were ready for three lines. Sailing her now, one is enough.

Kimmo

23 September 2013 - 16:08

Hello fletch... Sadly I do not have any information for you that will help you... But I have been watching your threads as I to make take on restoration... I have not yet decided on which boat I am going to get , although swan would be at the very top of my list, if I could afford the initial cost of entry...

Which brings me to my question... would you consider posting how much you paid for the swan 37 or posting the original sales ad?

If this goes against forum rules to discuss price if you could PM me I would appreciate it as well

Many thanks and continued success with your endeavor...

07 October 2013 - 20:29

Hello Anthony

Im glad to hear you have an interest in older boats, it really is a great pastime.

I understand your curiosity about the price of boats. It can be hard sometimes to get a good appreciation of how much they can or should cost/be worth. The advertised price is rarely the final sale price and there are so many factors to consider.

Its for this reason I would prefer not to publicly say how much I payed for my boat. Amongst my friends it is not a secret but they have all been on the boat and many helped work on it. It is impossible to compare one boat in a certain location to another. Honestly I think every person needs add up the cost and think if it is worth it to them at that time. A boat, especially an older one, is not an investment like a house and if you are happy with the price then that is all that matters.

Sorry I didn't answer your question but I hope you can understand the reasons.

Cheers

Fletch

08 October 2013 - 19:06

Many thanks Fletch...I COMPLETELY understand!!!!

Many thanks for the response...

24 October 2015 - 13:14

Wise people of the forum! I have more questions.

So I bought the Swan 37 #55 on reputation alone. Never having sailed a S&S Swan, and this one was not in a state to take her for a test sail. I have no doubt she will be a dream to sail.

My question relates to the cockpit layout. The primary winches are self tailing the aft winches are not. There was three cleats on the top of the coaming. What are they all for? I can see how the aft winches not being self tailing would need a cleat but what are the oher two for? They are all off now in order to paint the deck but I am tempted to leave off the forward two cleats if I cant find a need for them. I am guessing they could be useful to hold lazy sheets and the furling line ect?

I have attached the best picture I could find of hte cockpit as it was before, sorry its not a great photo

Thank you!

Fletch

Swan 37#55 (no name yet)

hi! looking forward to see to some pica of the result of the restoration! we stil a 37 now for about 25 years and the first most forward clamps removed make joystick steering sitting on the side much easier; good view on the matter and genua telltales, and main sheet access. the others come in hand for indeed lage sheets, mooring (spring lines) and when changing sheets (inner/outer) of the genua.

• Threads : 1701
  • Members: 820
  • Online Members: 0