Do you want to be informed on new Posts on this Thread? (members only)

S&S Swan General - Swan40 dreamboat or nightmare?
01 July 2013 - 18:22

Swan40 dreamboat or nightmare?

Ahoy,

First I would like to thank regular contributors Lars, John, Mike and all others for their spot-on advice.  The list of specifics to look for on a Swan40 is just what I was hoping to find.  The discussions of fitting and maintaining systems unique to Swans are priceless.   I will soon be looking at, Carpe Diem, the Swan40-015 listed on the association website located in Vancouver BC.  The broker says the gear is 'as listed' and the owner of 20-years has been diligent.   At  $65K, is it too good to be true? 

Like many of you, I  have high regard for S&S designs at sea and have lusted after a Swan since I saw a new one in 1971.  When I was finally ready to buy a boat in 1980 I could only afford a 69-vintage S&S designed Tartan34 centerboarder.  Thanks more to the design than my ability, I was able to sail Compadre over 60,000 blue water miles including a mostly solo voyage around the world via South Africa/Panama 1990-1996.   I'm hoping to do a more leisurely paced circumnavigation on my next boat.   Even though I've been boatless for awhile, I feel confident to be able to evaluate the systems common to all voyaging yachts. 

If anyone has personal knowledge of Carpe Diem, good or bad, (and it doesn't break any forum protocols) please let me know.  This could be the boat I've been dreaming about, or the project boat out of my worst nightmare.

Thank you very much for your consideration.

Jak Ayres

jakayres2001@yahoo.com

01 July 2013 - 23:00

Hi Yak,

have you seen this?

http://littlecunningplan.com/boat-reviews/1971-nautor-swan-40/

Best regards, Michael 47/013 VERA

02 July 2013 - 03:27

Hi Yak, have you seen this? http://littlecunningplan.com/boat-reviews/1971-nautor-swan-40/ Best regards, Michael 47/013 VERA

Hi Michael,  Thanks for the link.  I had read that review early in my search but did not realize it was Carper Diem.   Unfortunately they didn't mention some of the critical 'Lars-list' stuff like conditon of the steel frame at the mast base.  I'm looking for a good seaboat so to me the pics of the interior were luxury.  Especially compared to the spartan interior of my the S&S 69Tartan34 I lived on for 16-years.  I reckon those quarter berths will be a good home at sea for toys like surf board, windsurfer/rig, and SUP.

What I was surprised to see in the exterior pic was only one pair of primary winches in the cockpit.

Thanks again for your assistance.  Cheers, Jak

04 July 2013 - 21:08

hi Jak,
We are in the midst of an Atlantic Circumnavigation with Storm Svale. the crew includes my wife daughter 12 and son 10. She has again proved her worth at sea. My wife says she would not go out in another boat. We have seen a lot of carnage in modern boats who have been out in the same conditions. Given what Imhave experienced with our 40 I woild not have another boat. The price on Carpe Diem looks good as do the pictures. Try 55 and see what happens (;-)

Best of luck

Mike

05 July 2013 - 17:55

Hi Mike,

Thank you for the encouraging words and agree 100% with your comments about these outstanding boats.  I plan to view Carpe Diem next week. 

I'm already imagining pre-departure projects and wondering if any Swan 40 owners that cruise short handed or solo, have found it important to install another set of cockpit winches closer to the helm?  I haven't sailed the boat yet so this might be a silly question.  Perhaps it would mess up the dynamics of the cockpit?  I recall using all four cockpit winches sailing downwind on my S&S34 and wishing I had another winch for the furling line when the jib is partly furled during knarly squalls.  

Again thanks heaps for your inspiration. 

Smooth Sailing, Jak 

09 July 2013 - 16:57

Hi Mike,

Thank you for the encouraging words and agree 100% with your comments about these outstanding boats.  I plan to view Carpe Diem next week. 

I'm already imagining pre-departure projects and wondering if any Swan 40 owners that cruise short handed or solo, have found it important to install another set of cockpit winches closer to the helm?  I haven't sailed the boat yet so this might be a silly question.  Perhaps it would mess up the dynamics of the cockpit?  I recall using all four cockpit winches sailing downwind on my S&S34 and wishing I had another winch for the furling line when the jib is partly furled during knarly squalls.  

Again thanks heaps for your inspiration. 

Smooth Sailing, Jak 

Hi Jak,
Winches. We have installed 2 large self tailers in the cockpit and will install a small winch for the furling system.. It just makes life easier. I have switched out the main sheet system (long story) to a setup similar to a J35. This makes single handing much easie. I agree that a second set of winches in the cockpit would help with spinnaker asym handling but to be honest we have not felt the need as we use the deck winches. We are not racing at the moment so this is not a major problem. I got rid of the 4 mast winches and installed 2 self tailors with stoppers again makes life easier. I plan to go to an in boom furling system for the main. The slab reefing system is fine but I would like to be able to fine tune the main size a bit more.

What sails does she have? These are not well described. You have lots of offshore experience so know what you need in terms of gear. One thing that we found was that our wind vane was priceless. We have a WindPilot Pacific plus... it seems like this boat and the WP were made for each other!!! Also meant that we were a low power boat and could run on our solar panels. Ran the motor for 3 hours off Cape Verde and started it again as we entered the harbor in Martinique.

Questions

Mike

14 July 2013 - 16:59

Ahoy,

Just wanted to follow up and thank you for taking the time to answer my questions. Carpe Diem is a diamond in the rough that will require a longer list of offshore gear and upgrade projects than I can undertake. She would be well worth a look for someone with short term coastwise plans and deeper pockets.

Cheers,

Jak Ayres

14 July 2013 - 19:27

Hi Jak,

That is what I thought when I looked at the gear list. OK for coastal stuff but not offshore. Would need at least 20 k to get her ready to go.

Best wishes in your search

Mike

• Threads : 1707
  • Members: 821
  • Online Members: 1