Do you want to be informed on new Posts on this Thread? (members only)

S&S Swan General - converting from tiller to wheel steering on Swan 37
11 August 2013 - 19:37

converting from tiller to wheel steering on Swan 37
What is the best type of wheel steering conversion? What size of wheel? How much mechanical advantage is desirable and achievable? My rudder is the one that was originally designed and the tiller steering can be a bit fatiguing if there is much weather helm. Any suggestions and advice? What has been your experience of those that have made the conversion?

Thank you,

Tom tomleach2@gmail.com

13 August 2013 - 08:36

Dear Tom
The wheel steering installed at the yard had the following characteristics:
Wheel diameter 30 inches, turns H.O. to H.O. 1.34, rudder max angle 35 degrees.
This results in an equivalent tiller length of 8 ft, which is about twice the present length, and should be suitable.
Comments from 37 owners with wheel steering pls.
You can try how that feels by putting a temporary extension on the present tiller.
Steering system components are available from several suppliers, enabling you to build your own system.
Kind regards
Lars

15 August 2013 - 17:13

Hey guys,
I was considering the same project during our refit.
I was considering using the edson rack and pinion style pedestal. They seem reasonably priced and could be easy to fit. I had thought to use the part of the rudder stock where the rudder stop arms are fitted currently to attach the steering arm.
Some people have suggested to leave off the removable sections of the cockpit seats if fitting a wheel. It would be great to hear the professors opinion on this, were boats originally fitted with a wheel having the cockpit seats all the way around?
It's good to hear this project is on other people list too!
Thanks
Fletch

15 August 2013 - 19:59

John Corby did this conversion about 2 years ago see the pictures at the bottom of the page here https://www.icloud.com/journal/#3;CAEQARoQjwS-0mghXOCgIaGbNSxwdw;E4483063-0DED-48DE-8173-3A8822C5B66B

The boat has since been sold and the owner has converted it back to tiller stearing. See http://www.roundtheisland.org.uk/web/code/php/main_c.php?map=rir13&ui=rir4&style=std&override=§ion=results&page=boatdetails2013&boatref=1005 so he probably has all the parts you need to do this going spare if you can get hold of him thorugh the association.

I hope it helps.

16 August 2013 - 03:43

Dear Tom The wheel steering installed at the yard had the following characteristics: Wheel diameter 30 inches, turns H.O. to H.O. 1.34, rudder max angle 35 degrees. This results in an equivalent tiller length of 8 ft, which is about twice the present length, and should be suitable. Comments from 37 owners with wheel steering pls. You can try how that feels by putting a temporary extension on the present tiller. Steering system components are available from several suppliers, enabling you to build your own system. Kind regards Lars

Thank you Lars, very helpful!

Tom

16 August 2013 - 07:30

Dear Fletch
With a 30" wheel seats do not need modifications. Sprocket and chain recommended if you intend to sail long and hard.
Kind regards
Lars

• Threads : 1707
  • Members: 821
  • Online Members: 1