Do you want to be informed on new Posts on this Thread? (members only)

S&S Swan General - Swan 37
06 December 2013 - 15:46

Swan 37
Greetings All,
New here to this Forum and in need of some feedback on the steering characteristics of the Swan 37 of wheel virus tiller steering,
I started my search for an S&S 37 some months back and as a single handed sailor and looking at what is available on the worldwide market I find there are three cockpit configurations out there, tiller with cockpit seating all around, wheel with cockpit seating all around, ( must have been converted over from tiller, and wheel with helmans cockpit behind wheel.
I would prefer the latter but the availability is limited.
So my question, has anyone have any comments about sailing a 37 with tiller?
Short or tall rig.
Has anyone have any comments sailing with a wheel in a tiller style cockpit.
Please Advise,,,Thanks Tradewinds

07 December 2013 - 18:52

Dear Tradewinds
Wheel steering efforts can be defined in terms of equivalent tiller length, and for the Swan 37 the equivalent length is 2.46 m. There is a considerable difference compared to the actual tiller length which is about 1 m, and you can expect tiller steering to be heavy at times.
Kind regards
Lars

08 December 2013 - 14:34

We owned a tiller steered, short rig Swan 37 number 12. We cruised and raced including some long distance two-handed races. Its a truly great boat, but it does have some interesting characteristics. I think Olin was quoted as saying that the boat was designed to get to the windward mark first and that's why is has a relatively small metre boat type rudder blade. Some owners have made this larger. On ours it was the only boat that I've had that would go faster with quite a lot of weather helm - particularly when reaching in strong wind. On the rig, both are fine, but the short rig one was a bit underpowered in light airs and was very stiff.

This shows the tiller length and the rudder

RORC St Malo race in 1987. If you look closely you can see the tiller angle from the centreline as we reach with the spinnaker

Another view of the cockpit ashore in Berthon's

08 December 2013 - 16:02

Professor & Gavin
Thank you for your answers and pictures, both were of great help.
Here in the States we don’t often see these sailing thoroughbreds about.
Saw one once and never forgot the shape of its hull and have learned much since about its sailing reputation.
Now I’m in serious search of one and have two other questions maybe you could help with.
Looking at the pics of the 37’s on the site they all have single spreader masts. The spec sheet only shows single spreader.
Yet I’ve seen two pictures of different 37’s that have double spreader and referred to as tall rigs.
How much taller is the tall rig?
Last ? Did the later 37’s come with metal toe rails or were they converted?
Thanking you in advance,,,Tradewind

08 December 2013 - 17:55

Dear Tradewind
Some 37's were built with 2-spreader rigs, but the rig length was the same. By now the rigs on many of them have been replaced, and the dimensions may have changed.
There were aluminum toe rails on the four last hulls, 056...059. There are aluminum rails on some earlier hull numbers now, but they have been fitted later.

Dear Gavin
Do not think BY-PASS was hull 012, Kimmo will object. Could be either 011 or 013, would you remember her sail number?
Kind regards
Lars

08 December 2013 - 18:16

Lars, thanks for the question. I don't still have the original papers but the sail number was K2881. I have attached a couple of pictures of her half model which came from Nautor - which I know doesn't prove anything. I think that she was called By-Pass from new. Regards, Gavin

08 December 2013 - 19:26

Gavin
Thank you for prompt answer.
In the records K 2881 is associated with hull no 013, and if the half model shows 012 there is some unfortunate confusion. Did she have a Builder's Plaque on board?
Afraid that the yard does not have any interest to sort this out, hope you can live with it.
Kind regards
Lars

09 December 2013 - 14:26

Dear Gavin,

... I think Olin was quoted as saying that the boat was designed to get to the windward mark first ,,,

That is true, pse follow the link

http://nla.gov.au/nla.pic-vn4589977

Hull number 12 had originally sail number OR S 202 and name Victoria.

Best regards
Kimmo

14 December 2013 - 23:10

Yes, I think Lars is right. Ours must have been 013 which he validated with our sail number. As we sold her 23 years ago I can't remember what the plaque says although I still have the half model at home which says 012!

24 October 2015 - 13:05

Yes, I think Lars is right. Ours must have been 013 which he validated with our sail number. As we sold her 23 years ago I can't remember what the plaque says although I still have the half model at home which says 012!

Hi! as a proud owner of a swan 37 (nr 34) I've an interest in the halfmodel; do you consider to pass it through?

• Threads : 1702
  • Members: 820
  • Online Members: 1