Do you want to be informed on new Posts on this Thread? (members only)

S&S Swan Maintenance - Overhauling my Baby Blake Marine Toilet
15 February 2014 - 17:17

Overhauling my Baby Blake Marine Toilet
I need to overhaul/restore my old >40 years old Baby Blake Marine toilet in my Swan 40 and need a spare kit for the washers etc. Any good advice what to do and where to find spares?
Leif
Sunniva V (S&S 40#36)

15 February 2014 - 18:15

In the UK a number of online chandlery's stock the service kits (part number TBB0782). They provide spares for all varieties so you only need about 1/2 of them and the kits are not cheap; circa £150.

I've stripped mine down completely, cleaned the insides; had the main parts shot blasted and re-powder coated last winter.

The only fiddly bit I found was figuring out which seal to use on the waste side plunger.

Next winter I will have the chrome parts re-done.

Good luck
Adrian

16 February 2014 - 00:08

Leif.

The Main Agents and Stockists of spares for these toilets is Sea Sure in Southampton. They have been able to supply all the parts I have needed.

As Adrian comments, the parts are expensive, however these units are much more robust and reliable than some of the more modern replacements. 

regards

Paul Bond

24 November 2020 - 14:14

Hi all,

we just had our Baby Blakes restoredby Blakes & Taylors (Seasure) and I thought I'd share the result in this thread.

Haven't installed/put them back together yet but very happy with the result, they look as good as new to me.

We'd done some standard maintenance on the two Babys we have on Kairos and while this worked ok and got us through a few seasons it was obvious that they needed some more tender loving care from the experts to get them back to their former flawless glory. Someone who also has access to all the parts you suddenly find you need when dismantling something ...

Spoke to Blakes, who were very helpful, and since our bowls, seats and lids were still in good order we decided to ship only the metal (working) parts for sandblasting, re-chroming and re-pulver-coating.

Blakes would obvioulsy gladly refurbishe all parts if required though, they even offer bespoke material/colured handles, seats and lids ...

Took about one month for the two Babys to get done, and they now look  good for the next 40 years.

Some impressions below.

Fair winds

Stefan

Kairos - 57/043

Starbord Baby - before restauration

Starbord Baby - bend foot before restauration

After restauration

18 October 2021 - 22:15

Dear All,

finally - almost one year after installation of the overhauled Baby Blakes - I have some pictures of the 'finished product' to post...

I blame Covid, which meant we didn't sail this year ... also means the toilets still have not been used yet hence as good as new :-)

Overall and as mentioned before a sterling job from the guys at Blakes & Taylor in Gosport - thank you!

Fair winds

Stefan - Kairos 57/043

• Threads : 1701
  • Members: 820
  • Online Members: 0