Do you want to be informed on new Posts on this Thread? (members only)

Keel Bolts and General Topics on Keel - 431 keel bolts, traveller mods, and propane storage locker questions
09 October 2007 - 04:16

431 keel bolts, traveller mods, and propane storage locker questions

Are the keel bolts of the 431 typically exposed, or were they glassed in? Also looking for advice on traveller modifications, and propane tank stowage lockers or cylinders...the existing one I'm working with has several problems: number one, the solenoid switch is outside the single cylinder. The current propane tank leaves too little space to mount it properly inside. I'd like to install a much safer arrangement that would accomodate two tanks. Any advice and ideas are appreciated! Thanks again,

Mark

01 November 2007 - 19:49

I, too, am interested in the keel bolts of the S&S 43. I am looking to buy one but have found nothing on the type of bolts (newer ones are stainless in a lead/antimony keel), and whether or not they should be replaced in a 1968 boat. Will they actually last 40 years?

11 December 2007 - 11:46

Hi Mark, we have a 431 and our keel bolts are glassed in.
I didn't understand if you're interested in genoa travellers or in mainsail traveller, and what's the matter with them. If you are interested in moving the genoa travellers while the genoa is tight, we did a great job (here a photo). Fair winds

19 December 2007 - 22:01

The older Swan 43 (mine is #46) have stainless steel keel bolts in the bilge.  Original installation specified retaining nuts are fiberglassed so they are not exposed to bilge water.

Mine are still holding well.  I had two randomly selected bolts tested via torque wrench test during pre-purchase survey and they exceeded factory spec for tightness.

Hiro Nakajima

• Threads : 1702
  • Members: 821
  • Online Members: 2