Do you want to be informed on new Posts on this Thread? (members only)

S&S Swan General - Swan 37 factory colors
09 May 2014 - 02:25

Swan 37 factory colors
Greetings Professor,
We just yesterday met our new to us Swan #15 that was transported from San Francisco to New England.
She will spend some time in the yard getting upgraded and Awlgrip hull painting is on the list.
Was a double boot top an option from the factory in 1971 and was red an accent option?
Toe rails need replacement and know that they were through bolted and capped in the interior with gelcoat. I'm told that the replacement method now is to cut the old rails off and screw down with #14's. Any comments?
ps, any source for those skeleton brass companionway keys?
Please advise, thanks Steve

09 May 2014 - 15:46

Dear Steve
Thank you for the information
Double boot top was unknown at the time of the build, but would use the same total width and shape as the single. Can give the width and location provided you know the position of the water surface now.
Colors were to customer's choice, usually cove stripe used the same color as boot top.
Referring to the removal of the wooden toe rails I would like to point out that they have two basic purposes - give a foothold as required by safety rules, and cover the hull-deck joint, more of an aesthetic point. The recommendation is to consider both.
The thru-bolts holding the rails have recessed heads, suggest it is checked whether the rails can be planed down to just above the heads, and a slice removed and renewed on the side(s) in order to keep the old rails.
You are right that added fasteners are required if the thru-bolts are cut, but the recommendation then is to add the same number of new thru-bolts.
I would like to pass your question about the key to Forum members.
Kind regards
Lars

10 May 2014 - 20:35

Professor,
Thanks for your response, tried to download a pic but this server must restrict size.
Is it necessary to reconfigure size?
Finding out more about our new boat every day it seems.
Yesterday speaking to a former Owner I learned that the mast was heightened by 3'-0"
for light air sailing, thought it looked very long on the transport trailer in a pic received, she too has an extended modified rudder.
When doing sea trials in San Fran Bay it was blowing a little over 20 and we needed to reef the main which surprised me, now I understand why.
If any info is received about a source for keys please advise, thanks Steve

10 May 2014 - 20:48

Dear Steve,

pics must be in JPG format and not exceed 3 MB each

Fair winds!

matteo (38/067 Only You)

10 May 2014 - 22:43

Thanks Matteo,
Professor,
Here is our new Swan in the early part of her journey from San Francisco to Newport parked outside of Salt Lake City, sorry for the poor image but thinks its an interesting pic of contrast. Note the length of mast, and the way the driver aligned the light pole.
Cheers,

12 May 2014 - 05:06

Steve,
I own a 37 too. Ours is in Spain but I'm in Newport RI until Friday. It would be great to catch up and mabey see your boat. I'm at the Newport shipyard with team sca everyday. Come by if you can and ask anyone from the team or PM me if you have time to meet! I tried to send you a private message but I couldn't get it to work.
Cheers
Fletch

12 May 2014 - 12:34

Aussie,
Cool, hows that by chance,,coming down to Jamestown today, will stop by the Ship Yard and look for you.
I've followed your postings, be nice to meet up,
Cheers, Steve

13 May 2014 - 02:00

Thanks Matteo, Professor, Here is our new Swan in the early part of her journey from San Francisco to Newport parked outside of Salt Lake City, sorry for the poor image but thinks its an interesting pic of contrast. Note the length of mast, and the way the driver aligned the light pole. Cheers,

Beautiful. We are in Jamestown and will look for you. Maybe consider racing with us on Tuesday nights out of Jamestown?

13 May 2014 - 15:40

Contact info @ JBY, Thanks,

• Threads : 1702
  • Members: 821
  • Online Members: 2