Do you want to be informed on new Posts on this Thread? (members only)

Keel Bolts and General Topics on Keel - Keel bolts/38
09 November 2007 - 12:54

Keel bolts/38

When I had my boat lifted back on land for the winter I noticed some small cracks in front of the keel, going back about 150 mm on either side. The cracks (or crack) is of hairline thickness.

Does anyone know if this is a common occurence, or should I worry about the keel bolts? I might add that the season has been uneventful as far as hitting rocks or other hard objects is concerned.

Terje.

06 January 2008 - 16:00

Hej Terje

It is not uncommon that there is some cracking at the fwd end of the keel, particularly if there is a hydraulic backstay tensioner. The tensioner produces a considerable mast pressure, and bending moment in the hull. Do not leave it at full tension when you leave the yacht.

It is suggested that you check the tension of the forward keel bolts. The recommended torque for M20 is 150 Nm, and for M24 260 Nm.

Kind regards

Lars

06 January 2008 - 16:01

Hej Terje

It is not uncommon that there is some cracking at the fwd end of the keel, particularly if there is a hydraulic backstay tensioner. The tensioner produces a considerable mast pressure, and bending moment in the hull. Do not leave it at full tension when you leave the yacht.

It is suggested that you check the tension of the forward keel bolts. The recommended torque for M20 is 150 Nm, and for M24 260 Nm.

Kind regards

Lars

• Threads : 1702
  • Members: 820
  • Online Members: 0