Do you want to be informed on new Posts on this Thread? (members only)

S&S Swan General - Swan 57 questions
07 July 2014 - 06:36

Swan 57 questions
Hi all, This is my first post so thanks to Matteo for letting me join without a boat:) I have been looking at getting a Swan for quite a while now and am slowly getting closer to buying.

After losing out on a 65, I have my eye on a 57 (Hull 030). She is currently rigged as a ketch, but I am considering converting her to a sloop. Why? Because I like the simplicity and beauty of the sloop on the 57. I feel the ketch is too cluttered on the 57 and needs the boomkin to squeeze it all in.

In an earlier 2012 thread Lars mentioned that, except for the mast and boom of the sloop being 2' longer, if we removed the mizzen we have a sloop!

Looking at the sail plans of both sloop and ketch, it appears the running backstays of the sloop joins the deck about 1' further aft than where the backstay on the ketch meets the deck. Is this right and, if so, is there a chainplate back there on the ketch I could use for the sloop's running backstays?

I had a rigger also look at building a new sloop-length mast for me. During the process I ended up getting righting sloop moment figures from Nautor which I attach for your benefit.

He is looking at putting in a three spreader mast with a 315mm x 215mm section. I'd appreciate your thoughts on this solution, too.

Kind regards,
David.

Righting Moment

08 July 2014 - 08:05

Dear David
The runners were attached to eyes on top of the foot blocks, is this still so? Their longitudinal position is not very critical.
Removing the mizzen mast and boomkin will lift the stern a little bit. Would this be acceptable considering the present flotation?
Changing from 2 to 3 spreaders changes the load distribution in the shrouds, the main shroud takes more load than before, and the shrouds and chainplates need to be sized accordingly.
It appears the new mast dimensions represent a 2-spreader section as the suggested width is bigger than the original.
Does she have a furling mast now?
The righting moment numbers given are a mix of metric and imperial - yes, there are rating certificates with this odd combination - if you need help with the interpretation pls let me know.
Kind regards
Lars

08 July 2014 - 10:56

With all due respect,if it were me, I would be hesitant to attempt to improve on the original S&S design, which might decrease its performance and its retail value. They really knew what they were doing and that is a versatile sail plan on a large boat. If your goal is to find a sloop or larger cockpit in that size range I would think that would be attainable without doing major surgery.

14 July 2014 - 23:25

David,

I own Swan Lake (#027), one of the S&S Swan 57 extended to 60' by Nautor, adding a stern lazarete thus eliminating the boom kin.
I can give you details about the advantages of the ketch rigging experienced during the four Cape Horn rounding and round the world cruising short handed.

Alberto

swanlakesail@gmail.com

01 January 2015 - 20:29

Dear Alberto
I would be very interested in hearing about your experience of sailing a ketch rigged Swan 57. i am looking to mive up to a 57 from a 47 as a liveaboard round the world and be doing a lot of short-handed sailing
Regards
Mark

02 January 2015 - 19:56

Dear Alberto,
I will also enjoy to read about your sailing tips on Swan Lake.
Happy New Year to you and your lovely family,
Marc
Swan57Lianda
Marcbusschots@yahoo.fr

• Threads : 1702
  • Members: 820
  • Online Members: 2