Do you want to be informed on new Posts on this Thread? (members only)

S&S Swan Maintenance - Final Chapter in seacock replace for a 411 head.
28 August 2014 - 23:06

Final Chapter in seacock replace for a 411 head.
Rather than extend a previous thread, I thought I'd do a follow up on the seacock replacement in a 411 head. As shown in the photo below, I had to cut the body of the seacock in order to fully access the base. Because of the tight working area, that job took about 2-1/2 hours with a 3" cut-off wheel. It wasn't tough to grind--just tough to see and get the proper angle on the grinder. By no means a fun job, but it was still faster than removing the sink and cabinet to gain access.

After cutting the body, I used a rotary head grinder to cut a channel around the perimeter of the base of the old seacock. In the first photo below, you can see where I started that process. Once I found the actual perimeter, I just ground along the circumference. Even after the grinding, I couldn't break the old unit loose from inside the boat. It took a chisel from outside the boat to finally break it free.

This weekend, I'll glass the new unit in place. Hopefully, we'll be back in the water in a couple of weeks.

Don 411/11

• Threads : 1698
  • Members: 820
  • Online Members: 0