Do you want to be informed on new Posts on this Thread? (members only)

S&S Swan Maintenance - Original Baby Blake toilet (Swan 41)
11 November 2014 - 12:59

Original Baby Blake toilet (Swan 41)
The Baby Blake toilet ( which I believe was the original Nautor fitting) on my 41 has been fitted with a 11/2 inch ball valve attached directly to the discharge pump flange. Professor, is this a Nautor modification? I assume that it was fitted to prevent the toilet bowl flooding on port tack. Does anyone have experience of flooding with this toilet? I have the toilet removed for servicing, and could remove this extra valve.

Cosmo Little

11 November 2014 - 19:25

Every time someone mentions the Blake I am so moved that I cannot but intervene...
I would be very surprised if Nautor did fit ball valves to the Baby Blake discharge line although I know at least one case where a 411 owner fitted one.
If the discharge pipe has a high gooseneck possibly with a vent, and the Baby Blake discharge pump valves are well maintained there is no need for one additional external valve. In my case there is no vent but I never had any flooding; just consider that inside the discharge pump there are two one-way very well built valves in series.
Daniel, 411/004

11 November 2014 - 19:27

Dear Cosmo Little
Would suggest this is not an original installation, could other 41-owners chime in pls.
Is there a proper loop up to deck level for the outlet hose? Would be good to break the siphon in the hose by pumping in air after use, or add a small vent line at the highest point, led to the outside.
Kind regards
Lars

14 November 2014 - 12:15

Hello everyone!
We are also very happy with our Baby Blake!
There is definetely no ball valve to install on the discharge pump.
The recommendation I can make, if there is a proper syphon going up to just under the deck, is for the user of the toilet. There must be at least 6 to 8 strokes of the pump AFTER the bowl is empty, to make sure that with air being pumped the syphon will discharge into the sea, and not into the bowl.
Happy pumping!
Philippev 41/022

• Threads : 1698
  • Members: 820
  • Online Members: 0