Do you want to be informed on new Posts on this Thread? (members only)

S&S Swan General - Swan 57 - Problems with early boats
16 December 2014 - 16:42

Swan 57 - Problems with early boats
I am thinking about trading up from my S&S 47 - Outrageous to a 57' as a round the world liveaboard. I have read a lot about the problems with the early 57's and the trouble that this caused between S&S and Nautor. I also understand that the construction of the later hulls was then changed to provide more strength. 1. Is there a hull number from which one can assume that these problems were solved from the start and 2) opn early boats are there particular areas of concern that may or may not have been fixed. Grateful for any information.
Tks
Mark

17 December 2014 - 16:02

Dear Mark
Answers to your questions can be found in a Forum thread dated 13 Nov 2012.
You may also consider the centerboard keel, has a longer and less loaded attachment.
Kind regards
Lars

28 December 2014 - 20:37

I am thinking about trading up from my S&S 47 - Outrageous to a 57' as a round the world liveaboard. I have read a lot about the problems with the early 57's and the trouble that this caused between S&S and Nautor. I also understand that the construction of the later hulls was then changed to provide more strength. 1. Is there a hull number from which one can assume that these problems were solved from the start and 2) opn early boats are there particular areas of concern that may or may not have been fixed. Grateful for any information. Tks Mark

Dear Mark,
i can also recommend the CB version of the 57, sailing Lianda, since 4 years in New England and Caribbean, it is an excellent choice, and I was relu tant to go for a center board, having sailed All my Life on keel boats.
Best wishes and happy New Year,
Marc

01 January 2015 - 18:34

Hi Marc
Thangs for your reply. CB versions seem however to be hard to come by! I am looking for a version for short handed sailing and am alsp tossing up between a sloop and a ketch. What rig do you have and how do you find it to handle.
Regards
Mark

02 January 2015 - 19:42

Hi Mark,
Lianda is a ketch, I find this sail plan best when sailing short handed as I do. Lots of différent sail configuration possible.
Very easy to shorten sail area, and also to fly the Mizzen staysail The Mizzen is also very helpful to come and leave crowded anchorages by sail, with some practice and the help of a staysail you are very manœuvrable.
It would be interesting to share our experiences about sailing those lovely ketches, I guess Alberto of Swan Lake knows a bit about !
Cheers,
Marc

• Threads : 1702
  • Members: 820
  • Online Members: 0