Do you want to be informed on new Posts on this Thread? (members only)

S&S Swan Maintenance - Bow chocks
27 May 2015 - 20:30

Bow chocks
Dear Group,

I cannot seem to find bow chocks as beautiful as these. Possibly they were fabricated at Nautor?

Any thoughts?

Chris Mabel's Casse Tete 003/43

From the original brochure posted on this site

28 May 2015 - 20:07

Dear Chris
Similar chocks available, see picture. Would like to ask what the length needs to be.
Kind regards
Lars

28 May 2015 - 22:36

Dear Lars,

Thank you. There are no holes for chocks; I do not think they were placed originally. I will measure the space next time at the boat and reply.

With warm regards,

Chris

31 May 2015 - 02:39

Dear Lars,

You can see from the pictures that my configuration is different from that in the brochure, specifically, I have a bow roller that may interfere with the location of the chocks.

I am interested to hear your thoughts.

With warm regards,

Chris Mabel's Casse Tete 43/003

starboard side measurement

port side measurement

view of Bow

31 May 2015 - 15:18

Dear Lars,

I see that my pictures are rotated 90 degrees but I think you can still make out the measurements. The last picture shows what I expect is the path of the chain or line from the anchor.

With warm regards,

Chris

31 May 2015 - 19:18

Dear Chris
Thank you for the pictures
Afraid that your racing style bowroller will cause troble with a chock aft of it. The roller probably needs to be wider for accepting proper size chain, then the roller groove could also be moved towards the centerline, and the roller made bigger so the chain is higher up. You could also consider moving the windlass towards port side so the chain direction changes further away from the chock.
Needs to be verified on the boat if these proposals are feasible.
Kind regards
Lars

31 May 2015 - 21:47

Dear Lars,

Thank you. This boat is a constant source of surprises!

I think to implement your plan, I would need to remove the stemhead, correct? I cannot think of a way to attach one or more halyards sufficient to support the mast while I have the stemhead modified. I plan to step the mast next winter and rebuild the mast step then.

Can you suggest a way to remove the stemhead while the mast is still in place?

If not, I could mount the chocks in situ. I would put off buying and mounting a new windlass and use a Fortress FX - 37 with 20 feet of chain and 3/4 inch line. This way, when not in use, the chain could be pulled away from the chock. When in used, I could wrap the line to avoid any damage to the new chock.

With warm regards,

Chris

Other suggestions are welcomed!

With warm regards,

Chris

31 May 2015 - 21:54

Dear Lars,

One additional point. When I bought the boat it had a Quick windlass installed and it performed well with the current set-up. The chain was 3/8 inch G-4.

With warm regards,

Chris

01 June 2015 - 13:13

Dear Chris
It would also be possible to bolt on a new bow roller assembly after removal of the vertical lugs, and add the chocks, all done in situ.
The mast will remain upright even if you disconnect the headstay. If disconnected more than temporarily it would be advisable to use the fwd halyards as support. They could be connected for example to a strop through the bolt holes left after the stemhead fitting was removed.
Kind regards
Lars

01 June 2015 - 19:57

Dear Lars,

Thank you for all of your help! I have ordered the chocks you found for me - not sure the order went through but, if not, I'll work it out with Fredrick tomorrow.

I need to examine all of the projects I have going right now and see if I can actually get the boat in by mid-September. If not, I may tackle bigger jobs which would include modifications to the stemhead now.

With warm regards,

Chris

02 June 2015 - 20:36

Dear Lars,

Visa declined the transaction but I spoke with them today and it now appears to have been successfully completed! The chocks look spectacular from the picture - now I'll have to completely rehab the stemhead...and while that's off, I guess a new forestay is in order...

Thank goodness for youth; my boys have been a big help.

thanks again.

Chris

I'll post pics when I receive the chocks

31 October 2015 - 20:31

Dear Chris Similar chocks available, see picture. Would like to ask what the length needs to be. Kind regards Lars

Dear, I'm interested where to purchase these as ereplacement for the current ones on swan 37 croix du cygne

31 October 2015 - 20:46

You can find them with Olcese Ricci (http://www.olcesericci.com/it_cataloghi.htm)

Fair winds!

Matteo (47/069 Vanessa)

02 November 2015 - 16:32

Dear All,

Through a mix up, I have not yet received my chocks! I had just about resigned myself to the inevitable conclusion that I would not ever get them after many emails but I recently received an email from a new contact. I should be receiving 2 pairs soon and may want to sell one. When and if I do receive them, I will post pictures and comment on quality.

Chris
Mabel's Casse Tete 43/003

• Threads : 1702
  • Members: 820
  • Online Members: 0