Do you want to be informed on new Posts on this Thread? (members only)

S&S Swan General - Swan 37 change from tiller to wheel steering
25 July 2015 - 20:13

Swan 37 change from tiller to wheel steering
I am seriously considering changing from my tiller to a wheel.
What type of wheel steering system is recommended?
What diameter should the wheel be?
What brands of wheels are the best in USA?
How much mechanical advantage would I get over the standard tiller?
Are there tack and pinion steering systems?
If rack and pinion is an option, is it better than pulley systems?

26 July 2015 - 16:34

Dear tleach
Sprocket and chain recommended.
The standard wheel diameter was 30" with 1.24 turns HO to HO and +- 35 degrees max rudder angle. The equivalent tiller length with this geometry is 8.1 ft, considerably longer than the present one.
Suggest you check what Edson and Lewmar can offer towards achieving this geometry. If required I can assist with choosing the components.
Rack and pinion not recommended, at high loads there is the risk of the pinion jumping the rack, and with the time wear will make the steering sloppy.
Kind regards
Lars

27 July 2015 - 18:54

Dear tleach Sprocket and chain recommended. The standard wheel diameter was 30" with 1.24 turns HO to HO and +- 35 degrees max rudder angle. The equivalent tiller length with this geometry is 8.1 ft, considerably longer than the present one. Suggest you check what Edson and Lewmar can offer towards achieving this geometry. If required I can assist with choosing the components. Rack and pinion not recommended, at high loads there is the risk of the pinion jumping the rack, and with the time wear will make the steering sloppy. Kind regards Lars

Thank you Professor Lars!

I will check with Edson and Lewmar and be back in touch for component recommendations.

• Threads : 1702
  • Members: 820
  • Online Members: 2