Do you want to be informed on new Posts on this Thread? (members only)

S&S Swan General - Renewal of B&G from 1979
11 November 2015 - 22:32

Renewal of B&G from 1979
Dear All,
I am thinking of replacing the old B&G instruments onboard toge (38/113). For the new ones the B&G guys do recommend only one combined sensor which includes depth,speed and temperature in one device. At present there are three sensors: depth left and right of the keel, speed in front of the keel. I wonder if I can trust just one sensor and if this one will be sufficient. Any thoughts / experiences on this?

Thank you very much and all the best,

Toni (toge, 38/113)

12 November 2015 - 07:24

Hi Tony, we've had that one sensor solution in our completely new B&G n2k network for 2 Years. The sensor is Airmar DST800 and I've got no complaints about it's function. The sensor is sold under many badges (Raymarine, Simrad, etc) but it's always made by Airmar.

http://www.airmartechnology.com/uploads/brochures/dst800.pdf

IHe
CAID 431-12

12 November 2015 - 17:47

Toni, not sure which model you are looking at but I have had B&G instruments for 30 years on Swans and am used to many of the same problems such as depth gauge giving zero readings, condensation and weather damage to the instruments. I have recently bought a J88 for winter racing and it has the B&G Zeus system. So far this system with a single transducer has been excellent, the instruments have no air gap for condensation and are very clear. While I have always liked the historic ones, this new system is better. Gavin

14 November 2015 - 17:52

Dear IImari, Dear Gavin, thank you very much for your input! I will opt for a system with Zeus as a core, one sensor und the "traditional" analogue instruments. With them you can see the figures at a glance and don't have to "interprete" the numbers in your mind (that is in fact-as I have learnt from a friendly pilot- the reason why even in modern aviation they partly use analogue instruments instead of digital ones).

Best, Toni
(toge, 38/113)

• Threads : 1701
  • Members: 820
  • Online Members: 2