Do you want to be informed on new Posts on this Thread? (members only)

S&S Swan Maintenance - Chain Lockers ideas
11 December 2015 - 13:41

Chain Lockers ideas
All,

I'm planning on making a watertight chain locker on Tiderace this winter. The main reason is to stop the flow of water from the deck, down the spurling pipe into the bilge when we get green seas over the deck. (Its quite amazing the amount of sediment that also finds its way into the bilge!) Whilst we have been taping up the windlass on passage, this isn't a neat and tidy solution. I also need a bigger chain locker as I want to increase our scope of chain.

Whilst I have a plan in place for this; I would ideally like access to the chain locker from the deck; however this would entail cutting and making a hatch in the deck. I'm not worried about the particle work in doing this, but would be concerned about any impact on structural integrity of the deck/hull.

Has anybody done something similar and could pass on some thoughts?

Much appreciated
Adrian

14 December 2015 - 01:33

Had the same problem! But an acquaintance described a solution: Install a paper drinking cup over the chain and use it as a mold to form a rubber plug. I used 5200 (it has been a long time and I may not remember properly). But attached are two pictures: Plug in and plug out. It has worked for many years. At first, I thought it might wear away, but it never has.

08 January 2016 - 19:15

Hi Peter,

Looks like a great idea!

I like the look of your deck. What is it?

Thanks,

Chris Mabel's Casse Tete 003/43

09 January 2016 - 02:43

Hi Peter, Looks like a great idea! I like the look of your deck. What is it? Thanks, Chris Mabel's Casse Tete 003/43

It is the original deck available from Nautor when one did not order teak decks. On this model 1971 S&S 40 teak was optional and was laid over the antiskid shown. My boat never had teak decks - I would not have bought it if it had.

• Threads : 1702
  • Members: 821
  • Online Members: 1