Do you want to be informed on new Posts on this Thread? (members only)

S&S Swan Maintenance - Teak deck with Black Ort Whiteboard rubber
15 January 2016 - 21:17

Teak deck with Black Ort Whiteboard rubber
Der all
Does anybody have experience with white rubber for the teak deck. Actual wie recaulk and sandblast our Teakdeck. We are not sure if we should choose a black or white rubber. Blut we are not sure if there are differences in quality. Maybe somebody of you has some experience about that. Or is white rubber a NO GO for S&S Swans.
Thank you for your feedback.
Jürg Swan 65 SAIDA

17 January 2016 - 10:14

As I have no experience with white caulking, I cannot say anything about its quality, resistance against abrasion, or dirt collecting properties, but since you have opted to own a beautiful S&S Swan, it might come down to other considerations too, something like »What kind of ‘statement‘ do I want to make with the ‘looks‘ of my Swan?«

1) This is a true S&S Swan, original, or as original as possible, in good repair?
2) This is an S&S Swan, slightly adapted to todays standards, with some visible modifications that every knowledgable S&S owner will be able to understand?
3) This once was a S&S Swan, but now it looks like a Wally yacht, with sleek carbon spars and beautiful grey 3DI sails, flush RONDAL hatches, a few push button hydraulic carbon winches, a carbon steering wheel, and white caulking?
4) This S&S Swan is a mix between 2 and 3.

To address these questions is certainly a large portion of the fun here, and every owner needs to decide by himself. In the end, it is about »yacht culture«, a sometimes confusing topic that has its devoted fans and opponents amongst the S&S Swan community…

kind regards, Michael (47013 VERA)

P.S. My wife and I have had very good results with TDS teak deck caulking (black). It lasts and lasts and it never sticks to bathing pants or white jeans…

17 January 2016 - 15:21

They have been doing white caulking for a few years now on the new Frers Swans and Ferragamo has it on his boats. There should be some good yard experience as to how this survives over time. The latest development from Nautor is to run the teak planks parallel to the centreline which gives a very different look.That might be a step too far for an S&S Classic!
The nicest conventional decks that I've seen recently were being done by Walsteds in Denmark, where they scarf the end to end joints and match the grain making it look like there are continuous planks running from the bow to the stern. Gavin

18 January 2016 - 07:09

Dear Micahel
Thank you very much for your reply. I think you mentioned the right questions. Because of them and some other reasons we have decided to stay with black rubber. I think it's suits better to SAIDA. But thank you again for your help.
Jürg

18 January 2016 - 07:11

They have been doing white caulking for a few years now on the new Frers Swans and Ferragamo has it on his boats. There should be some good yard experience as to how this survives over time. The latest development from Nautor is to run the teak planks parallel to the centreline which gives a very different look.That might be a step too far for an S&S Classic! The nicest conventional decks that I've seen recently were being done by Walsteds in Denmark, where they scarf the end to end joints and match the grain making it look like there are continuous planks running from the bow to the stern. Gavin

Dear Gavin
Thank you for your reply. I also saw some newer Swans with white rubber. But we decided to stay with black rubber. We think it's suits better to SAIDA. Thank you again for your help.
Jürg

18 January 2016 - 13:45

Thanks, I think black is a good call if you are staying original in appearance. I look forward to seeing you and the boat in Sardinia this September. It looks like there might be a few 65's coming. Gavin

• Threads : 1702
  • Members: 820
  • Online Members: 0