Do you want to be informed on new Posts on this Thread? (members only)

S&S Swan General - Boarding ladder
30 January 2016 - 22:50

Boarding ladder
Dear Forum, I've just seen photo of Shaitan on the window frame thread and noticed their boarding ladder. I've been looking for a long time for something similar to that for Scotch Bonnet. We prefer not to use the transom because of windvane and also find boarding midships should be more comfortable, lower freeboard and shrouds to hold on to, the ladder is principally for boarding from dinghy but also for swimming. We've seen several designs which involve permanent fittings on deck which we're not keen on. We would like the ladder removable and easily installable from the dinghy if possible. Currently we use rope ladder with plastic treads which is rather dangerous and is becoming quite a barrier to us wanting to use the dinghy, and swimming definitely is off. Appreciate the forum's advice and what solutions others have in place. Andrew Scotch Bonnet 41/039

31 January 2016 - 10:48

Just a small note.
A fixed boarding ladder, that can be possibly deployed also by a person swimming in the water, is a necessary safety device.
Although I do not know, I would not be surprised if it is also enforced by some Register or Authority.
Daniel, 411/004

31 January 2016 - 14:24

The best I have seen is the ladder that niro-petersen.de sells to fix to the side of the boat.

Christian

31 January 2016 - 15:17

Andrew
It is suggested that you consider an attachment to the toe rail holes, which engages when the ladder is swung downwards into position. Then you can install it also from the dinghy, and choose a convenient location at the maximum tumble home.
Daniel is perfectly right, the European Recreational Craft Directive requires this safety feature for new boats.
Kind regards
Lars

31 January 2016 - 15:23

Dear Andrew

I have the solution suggested by Lars onboard Vanessa, it was very easy to have it built and inexpensive, will post a photograph next week

With this set up you can move it from stb to port side and viceversa as you prefer

Fair winds!

Matteo (47/069 Vanessa)

04 February 2016 - 20:02

Thanks All, I had trouble finding the Niro Petersen ladder in their catalogue, although saw some for the bow / anchor, I think I should email them to ask. Thanks Matteo, I would be grateful to see your solution. Andrew Scotch Bonnet 41/039

04 February 2016 - 22:15

Hi Andrew,

the folding ladder for lateral use is on page 202 of their online catalogue. You need flash to see this, so best from a desktop computer or laptop. The ladder is fixed to a stanchion. They would certainly modify it to fix it to the boat the way the professor and Matteo propose.

I am in contact with them for a custom ladder for the transom, as a starter.

Christian 411/028

05 February 2016 - 19:25

Dear All,

please see the detailed pics of the latter base here below, it is very easy to move the stainless steel bar from port to starboard side, it fits perfectly either side.

Fair winds!

matteo (47/069 Vanessa)

06 February 2016 - 13:29

Dear Andrew
Have you looked at C-QUIP ladders?
Kind regards
Lars

09 February 2016 - 10:05

Thank you Christian, found it, it is an interesting idea, I have not seen a ladder before which holds on to the stanchion for security, seems a good idea.
Thank you Matteo, do the round plugs just push through the toe rail and drop down to secure or do you screw the plugs on from the inboard side, I can't quite make it out from your photos.
Lars, I hadn't seen previously and thank you for the suggestion, a lovely piece of sculpture but may stretch the budget a bit. I would certainly lose over the side, the chances of that must be proportional to the cost. I'll pass though because I think it would require permanently mounted sockets - a good excuse.
Andrew

• Threads : 1701
  • Members: 820
  • Online Members: 1