Do you want to be informed on new Posts on this Thread? (members only)

S&S Swan Maintenance - What am I looking at?
20 May 2016 - 14:52

What am I looking at?

Hello to all.

I have had Swante on the hard in Povoa de Varzim, just north of Porto for the last 7 months or so. Getting her back in the water in early May, I was cleaning the deck and came over a round, farly large piece of metal, see the pic below. External diameter is about 50 mm, internal about 18 mm. It is made of what appears to be high quality steel, but as can be seen, has partly been broken.

This piece of metal has either fallen from the mast, in which case I have a problem, or someone has thrown it up on the deck to get me worried (or just to get rid of it). I have done a visual inspection of the mast, and everything appears to be in order.

Does anyone know what this piece of metal might be - or more specifically - does it come from my mast?

Best regards to all,

Terje.

21 May 2016 - 14:35

Hi Terje,

you may be looking at a washer. I have some washers aboard where, close to an obstacle like a wall section, there is enough space for bolt and nut, but not for a regular washer -- hence the washer is cut on one side to fit. I have at least one winch where this is the case.

I am not sure, of course -- neither that it really is a washer nor where it could come from. If you suspect the mast (or any piece of deck equipment), check any bolt or axle (for instance for the halyard wheels) that fits the inner diameter of your piece. There will not be many bolts that could fit.

Fingers crossed,

Martin

22 May 2016 - 10:07

Terje

The size of this piece suggests it does not belong to the yacht. A 16 mm nut and bolt would also be missing, 
Kind regards
Lars

22 May 2016 - 12:13

Hello to all.

I have had Swante on the hard in Povoa de Varzim, just north of Porto for the last 7 months or so. Getting her back in the water in early May, I was cleaning the deck and came over a round, farly large piece of metal, see the pic below. External diameter is about 50 mm, internal about 18 mm. It is made of what appears to be high quality steel, but as can be seen, has partly been broken.

This piece of metal has either fallen from the mast, in which case I have a problem, or someone has thrown it up on the deck to get me worried (or just to get rid of it). I have done a visual inspection of the mast, and everything appears to be in order.

Does anyone know what this piece of metal might be - or more specifically - does it come from my mast?

Best regards to all,

Terje.

Maybe you should check your bowroller also.

22 May 2016 - 12:35

...or maybe you have a neighbor who likes jokes...?

fair winds

matteo (47/069 Vanessa)

• Threads : 1702
  • Members: 820
  • Online Members: 0