Do you want to be informed on new Posts on this Thread? (members only)

S&S Swan Maintenance - Replacement of floorboards
25 May 2016 - 21:43

Replacement of floorboards

I am considering replacing the original floorboards on my 411 which are now 39 years old. I would prefer a lighter wood finish and without the holy strips or any varnish type finish. So a natural finish.

Has anybody any experecne or thoughts of what can be done?

John B

Swan 411 01 

25 May 2016 - 22:58

Hi John

I have come across a composite panel called Coosa which looks promising. You can veneer the face of the panel, but since it is not a wood product it won't be necessary to balance the panel by veneering the back side as well.

They have a web site and might send out sample kits, or a boatyard may have some scraps so you can see what the product is. You will also need to address the edges, paint may be sufficient.

Please let us all know what you decide, I'll be doing mine in the near future.

Good luck

Tony H 44 004 Hatha

26 May 2016 - 17:46

Hi John and Tony,

I used Coosa structural foam sheets for the fabrication of my new rudder, design thanks to the Professor, and behind the aft coaming where a previous owner had cut a hole but had not added necessary structural support.  Of course, a lot of new glass and epoxy added strength.  

The 3/4 inch structural foam I used worked similar to wood but has two layers of fiberglass so HS steel tools wear quickly and the dust seemed toxic to me; I used a respirator.

Chris Mabel's Casse Tete  43/003

• Threads : 1702
  • Members: 820
  • Online Members: 1