Do you want to be informed on new Posts on this Thread? (members only)

S&S Swan Maintenance - Compass oil
17 May 2017 - 06:45

Compass oil

An air bubble has formed in the compass of my 1972 Swan 40    I believe the compass is original.   Does anyone know the composition of the compass oil ?

24 May 2017 - 10:02

hi, as a compass is still one of the most relevant navigation instruments in my opinion,  my advice is to bring it to a certified workshop to get the bubble out. I already did this twice in the last 25 years of our ownership at a cost of a few hundred euros including professional repaint, new screws here and there and new lightbulbs (beter replace them before they stop working during night navigation..). WIth best regards, Aernoud.

24 May 2017 - 20:58

hi, as a compass is still one of the most relevant navigation instruments in my opinion,  my advice is to bring it to a certified workshop to get the bubble out. I already did this twice in the last 25 years of our ownership at a cost of a few hundred euros including professional repaint, new screws here and there and new lightbulbs (beter replace them before they stop working during night navigation..). WIth best regards, Aernoud.

Hi,

A beautiful classic compass is well worth the effort to maintain.

If you notice a drop of the oil level in the compass, there is a reason for this.

It can be an old rubber membrane or o-rings or as in my case the dome.

I experienced severe cracks in the dome of my Danforth compass together with a slow leakage of oil. None of the workshops I was in contact with were interested to help. The suggestion was to buy a new one, made in modern materials.

By chance I came across Viking Instruments on the web and they can help you either by renovating the compass or send you any parts you need to do the work yourself.

The compass oil can be as simple as white spirit but it might be safer to buy what the workshop suggests.

I found a clean transparent lamp oil and it has worked well now for over five years.

Best of luck

Per

24 May 2017 - 21:50

Dear Richard,

last year I sent my Suunto D-165 to Fuselli in Genova and they completely rebuilt it (they did the same about 10 years ago with the Danforth Constellation i had onboard 38/067 Only You), try to contact them. They are very good and honest:info@fusellifassio.it

Fair winds

matteo (47/069 Vanessa)

D-165 Suunto after it has been overhauled

• Threads : 1702
  • Members: 820
  • Online Members: 0