Do you want to be informed on new Posts on this Thread? (members only)

S&S Swan Maintenance - Pulpit smashed into - how to repair?
11 June 2017 - 12:14

Pulpit smashed into - how to repair?

Dear all,

I have kept Swante in Marina de Lagos for the last 12 months, and on my return this week, I noticed that the fenders on the port side were in the water, due to slack in the wire. It took me a while to find the cause of the problem: during my absence, probably some time in April, someone has smashed into the port side of the pulpit, causing it to be pushed back some 50 to 80 mm, see the enclosed picks. I am lifting Swante next week, and will keep her on the hard until September, so I have ample time for the repair. There are several options; keep it as is and just shorten the wires is one. Try to introduce enough force to pull it back into position is another. Also, taking it off and repairing could be done. Finally, asking Nautor to make me a new one is also a possibility. Any suggestions from this forum will be greatly appreciated.

i should add that I am meeting with marina management to try to identify the culprit. And in any event, this should be a matter for my insurance company.

Regards,

Terje

11 June 2017 - 13:48

Dear Terje,

I think you can just repair it, which is something a steel carpenter  will do quite easily and at a very reasonable price. 

Not worth getting a new one in my opinion.

fair winds!

matteo (47/069 Vanessa)

11 June 2017 - 14:44

Dear Terje

Can agree with Matteo, the deformation is small, and simply needs to be forced back to original shape, stainless is a ductile material.
Even badly bent stainless tubing can be repaired so it is impossible to see that there has been damage, it is just up to the skill and dedication of the repairer. 
Kind regards
Lars

12 June 2017 - 10:01

Terje:

I had similar damage that was repaired in place by use of a comealong, coneccted to a piling, and pulling the pulpit in the reverse line of the deformation.  It's nearly perfect.

For whatever that's worth, you might try it before you haul her.

Best of luck,

Geoff Corazon, 411 #41

12 June 2017 - 10:04

oh - and remember to remove the lifelines before using the comealong, reattach after pulpit is restored to correct alignment.

30 September 2017 - 04:30

Have you  found  the  culprit ?  Make him/her fix it and supply a bottle of scotch  for your trouble  

05 November 2017 - 10:58

Dear friends, thank you for your comments and help. Swante is now back in the water, and pulpit repaired. I was not impressed by the efforts to locate the culprit, and he was never found. Anyway, my insurance company (Pantaenius) covered the cost. 

I take the opportunity to mention a protective cover that I had a local sailmaker make, see the enclosed pic. Not very expensive and good protection for the teak.

Warm regards,

Terje

10 December 2017 - 10:20

Dear friends, thank you for your comments and help. Swante is now back in the water, and pulpit repaired. I was not impressed by the efforts to locate the culprit, and he was never found. Anyway, my insurance company (Pantaenius) covered the cost. 

I take the opportunity to mention a protective cover that I had a local sailmaker make, see the enclosed pic. Not very expensive and good protection for the teak.

Warm regards,

Terje

Hi, I own a Swan 431 & am wondering how much your cover cost and where and who made it?

It looks great

Thanks

C

18 December 2017 - 12:32

Hi C,

The cover cost about 1 500 EUROs, was made in Lagos, Portugal by a sailmaker whose company is called Fofovelas Lda. E-mail address: fofovelas@sapo.pt. The man to contact is Antonio.

He did spend some time making the measurements on board, so I'm not sure if it is practical to use him unless you keep the boat somewhere near.

Hope this might be helpful.

Seasonal greetings!

Terje.

09 July 2021 - 11:31

Unfortunately I have smashed the pulpit of my 47 Grampus and I need to repair and partly rebuild it. 

Apart from the general drawings in this site, do you now if a detailed technical drawing with construction plan is still available at Nautor? And what would be the office at Nautor to be contacted?

Thank you!

Matteo

Grampus 47/016

09 July 2021 - 15:35

Dear Matteo,

what happened? Anyway as far as I can see it should not be difficult to repair it. If you need a top stainless steel craftsmanship just let me know, there is one in La Spezia area (he used to work for the Italian Navy, in the Submarines) whi is simply a genius.

I think you need the pics I am attaching; unfortunately I don't think drawings for stainless pulpit is still available at Nautor, but I will check for you and let you know.

Fair winds,

matteo (47/069 Vanessa)

• Threads : 1698
  • Members: 820
  • Online Members: 0