Do you want to be informed on new Posts on this Thread? (members only)

S&S Swan General - 411 original shaft material?
04 January 2018 - 14:31

411 original shaft material?

Looking to see if anyone with a 411 has a shaft drawing with their set, and if so, could you please tell me what the specified material is that's indicated on this drawing?

Thanks, cheers, and happy new year to everyone!  Here, it's very cold, but the days are already getting longer and we look forward very much to sailing soon!

04 January 2018 - 18:29

Looking to see if anyone with a 411 has a shaft drawing with their set, and if so, could you please tell me what the specified material is that's indicated on this drawing?

Thanks, cheers, and happy new year to everyone!  Here, it's very cold, but the days are already getting longer and we look forward very much to sailing soon!

I have the original drawing of the propeller shaft where, unfortunately, a part on the side of the inverter flange is missing.   In the part I have, there is no mention of the material and of the diameter of the forward cylindrical end but everything else is well described.

I will be glad to send a copy of the drawing to whoever wants it; just let me have an email address possibly by private message.

Daniel, 411/004 Luna Menguante

07 January 2018 - 22:00

Hi.

I replaced the shaft on Hierro at the same time we re engined the boat. The material used was a duplex grade of stainless steel which is stronger than the 316 stainless often used.

The shaft was supplied byT Norris Ltd who are experienced in the production of these items, We discussed using 316 which they considered suitable, but as the original shafts were, I understand, duplex, I chose the latter.

Different suppliers offer differing "trade names" for duplex steels which are probably very simlar.

Hope this helps.

Paul 

09 January 2018 - 13:34

Dear Paul and CLA7003

Pls note that here are various grades of Duplex steels.
The original propeller shaft material for the 411 was Aquamet 17, but based on its long time corrosion properties the recommendation is to use another grade, Aquamet 22. 
This is an austenitic steel with strength and corrosion properties close to rod rigging, and  stronger than Duplex steels. 
Kind regards
Lars

• Threads : 1698
  • Members: 820
  • Online Members: 0