Do you want to be informed on new Posts on this Thread? (members only)

S&S Swan General - Position of diesel generator on Swan 57
15 September 2018 - 13:19

Position of diesel generator on Swan 57

Merlin currently has her generator in the aft cabin between the two bunks. I am debating moving the generator into the forepeak to give more space in the aft cabin. The forepeak is otherwise home to the greywater tanks and to various storage and is not used for accomodation. Does anyone have any thoughts on what this would do to the trim. Merlin is a 57' centreboard ketch withcarbon spars so less weight forward than with aluminium spars.

Thanks

mark

16 September 2018 - 08:12

Dear Mark

The following guidance can be given:
The distance the genset moves is about 11 m estimated from drawings. 
If the genset weighs 200 kg, bow then sinks abt 4 cm, stern rises 4 cm
If 250 kg weight bow sinks abt 5 cm, stern rises 5 cm

You can also try this out by having people with the corresponding weight standing at the present genset position, and then moving to the new position.
Kind regards
Lars

16 September 2018 - 09:23

Dear Lars

many thanks

i will pass this on to Jamestown Boatyard whereMerlin is currently laid up on shore. I would guess that the carbon rig will have altered the trim slightly bow up (although the mast is probably not so far forwardof the centre of gravity. Also at present Merlin will be "stern heavy)" due to the generator so I guess the change in trim vs the origibal design, taking into account the carbon rig, wull be more in the region of 2-3 cm? assuming this to be the case ,would 2-3 cm radically change things in terms of safety and stability vs the original design?

i will also need to find out what the genset weighs. It is not small!

best

mark

16 September 2018 - 10:32

Mark
Thank you for the information.
Originally Merlin had no genset, but instead 400 kg of internal ballast in the aft cabin. I would guess that the ballast was removed when genset installed, she floats nicely according to the photo 
https://www.classicswan.org/swan_photos_p.php?utente=275
If the photo represents the present situation I would suggest genset relocation is not advisable unless weight is also added aft. How much chain is there in the bow?
Kind regards
Lars

26 September 2018 - 17:13

Merlin currently has her generator in the aft cabin between the two bunks. I am debating moving the generator into the forepeak to give more space in the aft cabin. The forepeak is otherwise home to the greywater tanks and to various storage and is not used for accomodation. Does anyone have any thoughts on what this would do to the trim. Merlin is a 57' centreboard ketch withcarbon spars so less weight forward than with aluminium spars.

Thanks

mark

My Swan 57 sloop used to have the generator in the forepeak, but we removed it for a couple of reasons. First: Space was needed for sails, fenders, a folded inflatable, lines of all kinds etc. etc. Second: Having the genset up front means you very often exposed to diesel fumes, especially at anchor when there is shorepower.

I installed a Panda 150A 24v DC (AGT-DC 4000) genset between the bunks in the aft cabin. It fits including its' fiberglass cocoon under the original cover which is slightly lower than the bunk bottoms, so you have all the space that you originally had. You can still use the sea water manifold and the diesel routings at the nav station. It breathes through the lazarette, and it weighs 90 kgs! It has worked flawlessly since I first pushed the button, I can really recommend it.

God luck with your installation!

/Mats

21 October 2018 - 20:33

Deat Mats

thanks for your note. My genset is enormous and very obtrusive although it does drive aircon (fitted prior to my purchase!). Your set up does look way better!

where do you keep her

tks

mark

21 October 2018 - 20:34

There is 50m of chain

• Threads : 1701
  • Members: 820
  • Online Members: 0