Do you want to be informed on new Posts on this Thread? (members only)

Sail & Rigging - Swan 37 - Nautor Mast drawings
19 October 2018 - 11:14

Swan 37 - Nautor Mast drawings

Hello,

Our 1970 Swan 37 has the original Nautor Mast, and I'd like to know where the electrical wires are located inside the mast. I've got wires going from the foot of the mast to the top of the mast (one for the VHF cable, one for the anchor light, two for other lights and one for the wind transducer).

I'd need to install a new light 1/3 of the mast height from the deck upwards. This light would be on the bow side, similar to the lights that are there now.

Does anyone have knowledge of how the wires run inside the mast? Are they on the bow side? Are they in a separate compartment inside the mast?

Thanks & Happy sailing

Antti

20 October 2018 - 11:50

Dear Antti

You need to look into the mast from the lower end. If you can see the cables disappearing into PVC tubing attached to the leading edge, you should look for a thin messenger line coming out from the tubing, and attached somewhere. 
Then look at the mast top, where the cables come out you should see the other end of the messenger line attached.

The messenger can be used for pulling in the new cable, provided there is room inside the PVC tube. Drill a hole through the mast leading edge at the desired height in a position where the PVC tube inside will be accessible. Make a hole in the PVC tube - carefully, you do not want to damage the cables inside - and fish out the messenger. 
It would be advisable to re-install the messenger in the original position.

It can not be promised that the messenger still is there. If not, you need to put one in first.
Kind regards
Lars

22 October 2018 - 05:59

Thank you Lars! Will go out and look for the messenger line. Hopefully it is still there ;)

- antti

• Threads : 1698
  • Members: 820
  • Online Members: 2