Do you want to be informed on new Posts on this Thread? (members only)

Sail & Rigging - Deck blocks for spinnaker sheeting
03 February 2019 - 08:16

Deck blocks for spinnaker sheeting

Hi everyone,

Days are getting longer, so a lot of thinking about the new season. Plan is to do some clubregattes with my Swan 40 this year. A right setup for the symmetrical spinnaker is needed. Think I will use double sheeting. For the after guy a standing block midships on a lug in the toe rail and for the sheet a block on the after end of the toe rail. For the lifting a double block in the  mast because I think using the second pole for gybing is a good idea. And then of course a double standing deck block 1 meter after the stemhead for the downhaul. Think this can be lead to the cockpit on both sides bij using another standing deck block on each side of the coach. Now my question, where do I get the standing screwing deck blocks that will fit. Or do I need someting like a deck eye with a block? Any advise on this and how to setup and sail a symmetrical spinnaker on a Swan 40 is very welcome.

Kind regards,
Jolling Lodema (Swan 40, #22 Becca)

05 February 2019 - 16:01

Hi Jolling

I am not too familiar with your side deck arrangement, but I wonder if Low Friction rings on Dyneema line could be a solution. We use them a lot to deflect lines across the deck and when finished with we untie them and pack them away.

Rob 

Sarabande 47/029

05 February 2019 - 21:08

Hi Rob,

Thanks Rob! I must say I like your idea! Think these rings can be a good solution for leading pole downhaul to the cockpit and maybe also for the afte guy. Another thing is that I don't have the (eye)bolts that will fit in the deck. The sort of thread and the sizes of the deckfitting is not known to me.  Any ideas about this?

Kind regards

Jolling Lodema , Swan 40 #22 (Becca)

06 February 2019 - 06:25

Dear Jolling,

we ran into a similar problem: one of the threaded ringbolts was missing when we bought the boat. I checked with various hardware suppliers ("that size?! Forget it") and came to the conclusion that probably Nautor made them. And I did get a spare ringbolt from Nautor's helpful spare part department.

I'm assuming that you (still) have the sunk diamond-shaped fittings in the deck so you could ask Nautor whether they have spare bolts for your boat. If not, you will probably find similar ring combos with the hardware suppliers. The diamond plate is bolted through the deck and is countered with a backing plate below; I did not find any backing plate inside the sandwich deck. However, I found one backing plate that was badly corroded so I replaced the aluminium with G11. I attach some pics.

Hope that helps,
Martin (48/039 Vellamo)

The diamond-shaped fitting with a threaded ring(bolt)

Backing plate below deck -- old and new

06 February 2019 - 20:47

Dear Martin,

I think I have exactly the same fittings. Seems to be a very strange size indeed. The thread looks finer than a normal metric thread. I will give it a try at Nautor. Any suggestion for a standing block suitable for that specific bolt ring?

Thank you Martin

Kind regards Jolling

14 March 2019 - 14:40

Hi Jolling,

For attachment to these eye bolts on our 40 I use a Dyneema endless loop and one of the frictionless rings.. easy to splice!!! I use 10MM Dyneema. 

As for the deckfiitings: A suggestion...  If you can't get the originals pull the diamond fittings out of the deck and get them re-tapped to an appropriate thread size and get a metal worker to make you eye bolts to fit. I get a lot of custom SS work done.. at the moment mounts for a second set of winches in the cockpit for the code O and A-sym sheets.  

How are you enjoying your lady??  

All the best 

Mike

16 March 2019 - 20:34

Hi Mike,

Thnx for your info. Luckily I found rings in my ship. I have a good solution now. I will send some picks when the lady is in the water. I must say Mike I love the boat. She is looking better and better and sails like a dream! And inside I made some cosmetic and technical improvements. Next thursday is launch! Cant wait!

How are you doing Mike?

18 March 2019 - 07:51

Hi Jolling,

all well here!  We are gearing up to go in the water as well although it will be late April. Lots of sailing planned for this year!! 

Anyway, Glad you got the situation under control!!! 

What modifications have you made? We have made a double in the fore peak and converted the StarboArd berth in the Salon into a library and home for the SSB. 

All the best

mike

07 April 2019 - 05:53

Hi Mike,

Good to hear from you. Yes of course i had to make som adaptions. Here a short list:

- sanded and polished the hull because of craquele (good result, but not perfect)
- replace boom by Selden
- new mainsail
- new rollerfurling (Furlex 300S)
- three other/not new headsails
- some plumbing (galley)
- replace all the halyards by dyneema
- replaced most half of the stays
- replaced electric wiring in the mast
- changed to a single throttle lever
- replaced all the navigation equipment

Ok that's most of it. I give you my email. We can stay in touch:jolling65@gmail.com

Today is beautiful weather, so my first sailing of the year!!

Kind regards,

Jolling Lodema

Two weeks ago

• Threads : 1701
  • Members: 820
  • Online Members: 0