Do you want to be informed on new Posts on this Thread? (members only)

S&S Swan Maintenance - New 45 years old Danforth Constellation compass
19 April 2019 - 18:17

New 45 years old Danforth Constellation compass

Dear Friends,

my friend Philippe last year wanted to sell his 45 years old Danforth Constellation compass, and I could not resist, as onboard Vanessa I had a (good one) Suunto D-165 compass but with a black aluminum binnacle, which I did not like very much.

So, I bought the Danforth Constellation (a compass which was originally installed on Philippe's beloved S&S Swan 41/022 Soeur Anne), sent it to F.lli Fassio in Genoa (Italy) to be restored, and they came back to me with the compass completelly overhauled, and the binnacle re-chromed. I love it!

I could be wrong but I don't think such a fantastic compass does exist in nowadays production, they are all made out of plastic (and not solid bronze as this one, and the Suunto D-165).

Thanks a lot Philippe!!!

Fair winds

matteo (47/069 Vanessa)

the compass as I have receivedt. After 45 years of honest service

and today, after the restoration (ps the plaque is a gift of the restorer)!

20 April 2019 - 13:42

Dear Matteo,

If you need parts for a Danforth Constellation Compass I have used a company in US, Vikingcompass, who supplied me with any part you might need when renovating these wonderful instruments.

Congratulations on your "new" Compass!

PerS

20 April 2019 - 13:49

Thanks a lot PerS!

Fair winds

matte (47/069 Vanessa)

12 June 2019 - 08:50

I can only agree with Matteo's recommendation of F.lli Fassio in Genoa. I had our old Danforth Constellation (original from 1974, I think) serviced -- the glass dome was etched, it had a crack and was very slowly seeping oil, and the compass looked every bit like the 45 years it had.
And I received back a compass that Vellamo will proudly carry for the next decades ...

Fair winds,
Martin (48/039)

before ...

... and after

• Threads : 1434
  • Members: 717
  • Online Members: 0