Do you want to be informed on new Posts on this Thread? (members only)

S&S Swan Maintenance - S&S 36 drain plug...?
28 May 2019 - 22:03

S&S 36 drain plug...?

Hello,

I believed that all S&S Swans had a bronze drain plug installed on the starboard side in the deepest part of the bilge. I have searched in vain for a drain plug on our 1967 Swan 36. I can find no trace of it, or any evidence it has been removed and the hole filled.

I suspect drain plugs were not in fact fitted to the earliest boats. Is this correct?

I intend to fit one - a great idea in a boat with such a deep bilge to keep her dry when ashore.

Thanks and regards,

Derek Fairley

'Lofna' 36/021 (formerly called 'Icon of Hamble' and 'Seamroige' - we have reverted to the original name)

02 June 2019 - 00:29

Dear Derek,

When I purchased my boat, Swan 43, hull 003, there was a garboard drain plug installed but I was not convinved that it was the origianl.  In fact, I was very worried that it might actually come loose and sink the boat so I decided to replace it.  You mentioned that you plan to install a drain plug.  This is how I did it on my boat.

original drain, without plug, up close - scary

template to cut mortise for new drain plug

template attached to hull and ready for router

02 June 2019 - 00:37

I cleaned the area aroung the original plug area completely;made the template to the exact size of the new graboard drain plug; attached the template to the hull and, using a router fitted with bushings, cut the mortise to the exact depth.  I drilled and tapped for machine screws and bedded the new drain plug housing in polysulfide.  Below is the finished product.

Garboard Drain Plug Fitted

06 June 2019 - 10:09

Hi Christian,

Many thanks for your reply and photos - very much appreciated.

I have now sourced a flush-fitting bronze drain plug... I'll post an update once fitted!

kind regards,

Derek

• Threads : 1701
  • Members: 820
  • Online Members: 0