Do you want to be informed on new Posts on this Thread? (members only)

S&S Swan General - Bowthurster on a 47: Classical channel versus retractable bowthrurster
13 October 2019 - 17:25

Bowthurster on a 47: Classical channel versus retractable bowthrurster

Dear All,

This a general issue for sailboats, channel versus retractable bowthrusters.

I have read already the general weak and strong points in both systems.

I would appreciate your considerations and suggestions, with the indication of the proper position on the 47' Mk I.

Thank you!

Matteo45

Grampus 47/16

27 October 2019 - 13:43

Hi Matteo,

have you had a look at the jet thruster system? Looks interesting.

https://www.hollandmarineparts.nl/jetthruster/systems/bow-thruster

Chris

27 October 2019 - 13:51

Dear Chris,

(it's the wrong Matteo answering!) I have seen it onboard a friend's boat and I must say I was impressed, at the beginning, then I have seen him trying to manoeuvre his boat under windy condition (otherwise when would you need a bowthruster...?) and it did not have enough power to turn the bow...!

Fair winds!

matteo (47/069 Vanessa)

27 October 2019 - 15:32

It's always windless for the demo video's too.....I think the position of the outlet is critical. Let us know what you decide on. 

30 October 2019 - 17:26

Hi Chris,

I have read that Jet thruster is a system which might be appropriate in case of a large catamaran.

This system looks appealing, but it is very heavy, power demanding and cumbersome. And expensive. The small advantage is that the heavy pump might be located in the center of the boat or wherever it might be more convenient.

My personal opinion is that the need of a thruster depends by the way of cruising, the help from the marina people and the number of crew on board.

A tunnel bowthruster is the simplest and easiest system to install . The removable bowthruster is more efficient, requires less power with the same thrust it is more elegant to be observed on the hard. And more expensive, too

• Threads : 1698
  • Members: 820
  • Online Members: 0