Do you want to be informed on new Posts on this Thread? (members only)

S&S Swan Maintenance - Steering pedestal maintenance swan 37 (1970)
21 January 2020 - 14:55

Steering pedestal maintenance swan 37 (1970)

during this winter i had the steering pedestal partialy dis-asembled in  order to overhauled the internal components. my Swan has the original steering pedestal but the trim tab is not operational anymore. the shaft and associated gears appear to be reasonably robust and should not require any replacement,but the bushings sound to be worm out causing rotational friction of the steering. the problem is that i could not completely dis-assembled  the shaft.Do you have any suggestion or the original cross-section drawing for Nautor? Thnak you very much for your help.

Claudio Furlanis

22 January 2020 - 06:41

Dear Claudio

The recommendation is to remove the flange on the front side of the pedestal head, and extract the shafts that way.
This thread may also be of interest to you  

Kind regards
Lars

24 January 2020 - 12:35

Dear Claudio

The recommendation is to remove the flange on the front side of the pedestal head, and extract the shafts that way.
This thread may also be of interest to you  

Kind regards
Lars

Thank very much professor

29 November 2020 - 17:23

Hi Claudio,

Hopefully the photographs attached are of some use. We recently completed the same procedure with help and thanks to the Professor.

*Note it was difficult to press the bearing out. Eventually the machine shop cut reliefs in the back of the bearing before using a hydraulic press on the main shaft. There was considerable aluminium corrosion (oxide) present. 

It would be great to know how you got on? And if you could possibly help with some dimensions?

Thank you,
Dan

43/059

• Threads : 1698
  • Members: 820
  • Online Members: 0