Do you want to be informed on new Posts on this Thread? (members only)

S&S Swan Maintenance - Propeller Variprop F107 Swan 38
18 March 2020 - 10:25

Propeller Variprop F107 Swan 38

Swan lovers,

Who can provide me with a short and clear information for a correct adjustment of propeller .

Swan 38

Propeller Variprop F107

Nanni engine N4.38 running at 2000 rmp

All picture attached

Problem : the boat is not manoeuvrable when moving backwards.

Thank you in advance for any explanation.

18 March 2020 - 14:55

Dear Serge

The propeller pitch should be adjusted so the engine can reach its nominal rpm 3000 at full throttle.
Propeller walk in reverse is a feature on all S&S Swans with skeg rudders and V-shaped aft bodies.
Start reversing at low rpms, and let the boat slowly pick up some speed, so the rudder begins to bite. If this is not possible in restricted spaces, then turn the boat on the spot by using fwd/reverse alternatingly, and turn the rudder to the full angle when engaging forward gear.
In this thread you can read about propeller walk
Kind regards
Lars

27 March 2020 - 12:49

Dear Lars,

Many thanks for the helpful information.

Do I have to understand that to backdrive out of a marina with a beautiful Swan you have to wait untill night to avoid shame ??     !!!!!

However in one forum post (15.05.2010) about the different propellers it seemed that MATTEO had found both the ideal propeller and also its setting.

27 March 2020 - 12:55

Dear Lars,

Many thanks for the helpful information.

Do I have to understand that to backdrive out of a marina with a beautiful Swan you have to wait untill night to avoid shame ??     !!!!!

However in one forum post (15.05.2010) about the different propellers it seemed that MATTEO had found both the ideal propeller and also its setting.

27 March 2020 - 15:48

I understand what you mean and I would add: "Yes, at least untill you get very used to it!"

If the wind blows from the wrong side, after so many years I still make quite interesting and funny performances for people standing on the pier and watching me moor backdriving!  I would say, especially entering rather than exiting the marina.  :-)

Daniel, 411/004 Luna Menguante

28 March 2020 - 08:25

Serge

I tend to agree with Daniel, would be good to get used to it. Pls read the thread, there one owner describes how to do this.
If you feel that propeller walk is unacceptable, fins added to the P-bracket for redirecting the propeller slipstream in reverse is one possibility. As far as I know this has not been tried.
Another possibility is to change the engine installation to Saildrive, then the propeller shaft is horizontal, and the reverse slipstream does not hit the V-shaped hull.
Kind regards
Lars

23 April 2020 - 10:04

Dear all,

I have a Swan 37 fitted with a Maxprop. I learned to sail her backwords in a quet place in the harbour, while my crew is lowering the main. Started doing so in no wind, and slowly buiding up my rehearsing until 25kn of wind.

Can say that now, I can sail her backwords to my berth in mostly all conditions. Question of learning how to handle your boat I guess.

Try it..... Good luck!

Geert.

• Threads : 1701
  • Members: 820
  • Online Members: 0