Do you want to be informed on new Posts on this Thread? (members only)

Sail & Rigging - Swan 47 traveler end stop
08 September 2020 - 00:49

Swan 47 traveler end stop

Hi all,

(Hopefully not a double post)

My swan 47 is missing the traveller end stop and control blocks.

Any ideas what model it is or what I could use to replace them?

08 September 2020 - 05:01

Hi Peter,

no double post at all!

It's a Lewmar traveller, dismissed now.

It should not be difficult to have a custom made piece, if you have someone working bare alluminum (which must be anodezed).

Fair winds!

matteo (47/069 Vanessa)

08 September 2020 - 19:22

The original parts looked like this, I think ...

The stop is held by two bolts -- a strong vertical one that is sunk into a nut glassed into the aft stateroom deck, and a smaller horizontal one that goes into the X rail. The smaller one is hidden beneath the stronger one.
I found the horizontal bolt to be unnecessary, unless you slam the traveller into the stop; its main purpose seems to be to protect the vertical anchor bolt from bending.

Provided you still have the glassed-in nut: it may be possible to replace the aluminium stop by a teak block. The wood can soften the impact, and it is far easier to replace.

Best regards,
Martin (Vellamo, 48/039)

11 September 2020 - 01:26

Thanks for the comments.

Unfortunately the bolt is not there anymore, but I could try to place a new one.

I found this picture from another Swan. Here there is a double block at the end to turn the traveller sheets. There is also a loop on top - maybe for the main sheet block?

Is it a bad idea to try to put both the traveller and the main sheet turning block onto the traveller track from a load perspective?

Otherwise I might have to build a turning block separately for the main sheet.

• Threads : 1499
  • Members: 749
  • Online Members: 4