Do you want to be informed on new Posts on this Thread? (members only)

S&S Swan Maintenance - Hydraulic Vang dead, what next?
08 September 2020 - 12:14

Hydraulic Vang dead, what next?

This summer my hydraulic vang died a rather messy death. Sick of having it fixed, I'm now considerign a replacement.

Complication: The boom attachment to the mast, (mastra in italia, not sure in English) shown in pic. is, or seem to work like, the original, when reefing was achieved by rolling the main around the boom. This means that the boom still can rotate around its axis. To keep the boom straight I cannot rely on the rigid vang, but must use it in conjunction with the topping lift. The vang attachment on the boom does not like this and the invevitable play forces open the top connection between vang and boom, and broke it once before.

Three questions:

. recommended rigger / establishment who can remanufacture/overhaul my existing vang?

.recommended supplier/rigger of alternative vang? any experience. Professor, any recommendation?

. Any recommendation to modify the boom to mast attachment to stop it rotating?

Hope clear.

Thank you very much to anyone for input.

Cheers

Michele

Gandalf Wight Sorcerer 55/012

Lovely vang, but dead.

rotating mast to boom attachment. incompatible with rigid vang

deformed vang to boom attachment

08 September 2020 - 19:40

Dear Michele,

I believe your observation to be correct -- there is a considerable force rotating the boom, as the curve of the sail cants it sideways. On our 48 we do not have the rotating boom attachment anymore, the gooseneck allows only lateral and vertical movement ... and I had the connection ripped apart once when the rotating force exceeded the fatigue.

Assuming that the boom will rotate slightly, would it be possible to attach a semi-circular rod similar to the attachment of a main sheet? Lars will be able to answer whether the force of the vang allows such a solution, as well as the angle the rod would need to have. If the vang can rotate in itself (like the backstay tensioners), that might take the load out of the top terminal.

Just a thought, though ... waiting for input from Lars.

Best regards,
Martin (Vellamo, 48/039)

09 September 2020 - 10:48

Dear Michele

If you choose to overhaul the vang you need to find a service familiar with the product. Either the original manufacturer, or their representative, so the correct parts will be used. Especially if there is a high pressure return function servicing is outright dangerous if somebody who never has seen such a thing is doing it.

Nautor has used Navtec hydraulics for a very long time,  still available and recommended.

Thank you Martin for the comment. There is a round pin going through the forward end of the boom, this pin probably has a flange at its aft end, and the recommendation is to look at adding bolts/pins through this flange thereby preventing rotation of the boom. 

Kind regards
Lars

09 September 2020 - 18:03

Thank you Martin!

09 September 2020 - 18:05

Thank you very much Lars!

will look into that!

M

• Threads : 1698
  • Members: 820
  • Online Members: 0