Do you want to be informed on new Posts on this Thread? (members only)

S&S Swan Maintenance - Stripes
28 November 2020 - 16:56

Stripes

Does anyone have any recommendations about re-doing the boot and cove stripes in paint vs gelcoat?  I have re-done the whole boat's gelcoat and it has come time to do the stripes.  There is concern that re-doing them in gel is going to lead to a messy edge because it is too thick to spray a clean enough line for a stripe.  Paint has been recommended for the stripes.  I imagine this has come up before during refit work and I am wondering if anyone has some experience, advice, or tips on this.  Thanks very much!

Matthew - Swan 41/053

Canada

18 December 2020 - 19:08

Aloha Matt,

After a major refit, I had Awlgrip painted cove and boot stripes on a previous 44' sailboat, which I owned for over 20 years, several cruising.

Both stripes had a clean edge, Awlgrip paint is very durable and easy to clean.  If your boat is in northern latitudes with low UV, the paint will last for a long period. 

Last year, at KKMI yard in San Francisco a respected yard familiar with Swan, they mentioned to paint the boot stripe on my Swan 47, no mention of gel coating it, you may want to call the yard manager for their opinion.  

Skip - 47/044

• Threads : 1701
  • Members: 820
  • Online Members: 0