Do you want to be informed on new Posts on this Thread? (members only)

S&S Swan Maintenance - Teak Deck Maintenance
18 December 2020 - 18:02

Teak Deck Maintenance

Researching teak deck maintenance, I learned of a product called Sioo:X, from Sweden; here’s the link to their marine deck information:

https://sioox.com/en-US/product/premium-wood-surface-protection-marine/

They say it protects and strengthens the teak deck for up to eight years, leaving a light silver grey color to the teak.  I have asked for more information from the US distributor, i.e. testimonials and before after pictures.

I did notice these products were published on the Halberg-Rassy website, available for sale.

Does anyone have first hand knowledge after using Sioo:X Marine products?

Like many of you, I’m hesitant to use anything other than sea water to maintain, but the claims of SiooX are impressive, and worth research. 

Skip W.

s/v Kona Koa

47/044

18 December 2020 - 18:51

Dear Skip,

we are 612 Members in this Association and I am sure we have about 600 different opinion on teak deck maintenance...!

;-)

I had my previous 38 re-decked and the 47 too, so I know how expensive is the teak. I never use chemichal on my teak, I am very scared about the effect they have on the caulking. I do not trust products which promise years and years of perfection. 

Water and a soft cloth, this is my "receipe". 

A very very light sanding every few years, and when I say "light" I mean getting rid of less than 1 mm. . Just to clean the surface.

Fair winds!

matteo (47/069 Vanessa)

18 December 2020 - 20:26

Aloha Matteo,

Nice picture, the teak deck looks like new.  This must be the beautiful Vanessa! 

Thanks for the comments and “recipe”, I’ll use it.  Kona Koa’s teak decks have been replaced using a systems epoxy bonding (no screws or bungs), not as recently completed but still plenty of thickness to the teak.  Really interested in maintaining and prolonging the life.

I like you am very skeptical of manufactures claims, especially when they sound as good as Sioo:X states.  Just curious if anyone had used the product, if you have don’t hesitate to let us know.

Mahalo,

Skip  (47/044 Kona Koa)

18 December 2020 - 20:51

Dear Skip,

you are right, teak deck on Vanessa is new (2020), so we will see in ten years time.

Attached here a picture of my old Swan 38  Only You teak deck, ten years old (the deck, not the boat!)

Fair winds!

matteo (47/069 Vanesa)

ps both the decks on Only You and Vanessa are glued (Sika) and without any screw

19 December 2020 - 17:27

Aloha Matteo,

I’m convinced, your “receipt” is a winner.  Impressive! 

Thank you for sharing the photo as evidence of a well preserved/maintained deck; a labor of love for sure. 

Mahalo,

Skip (47/044 Kona Koa)

28 December 2020 - 14:05

Hello Matteo,

What a marvelous photo; Her Majesty Vanessa is a real beauty!

I cannot but agree strongly: only use salt water on your teak deck. I would like to share my secret a sponge and a lot of water rubbing lateraly and: once a year a light sanding by hand with an 80 grit sponge (Norton manufacturing). This will take away the hard part of the wood avoiding creating crevisses on the surface.

Fairwinds and happy covid-free cruising for 2021 to the family!

Philippe. 41/022

29 December 2020 - 17:38

Thank you Skip and Philippe!

Fair winds!

matteo (47/069 Vanessa)

24 January 2021 - 21:42

Dear Skip,

we are 612 Members in this Association and I am sure we have about 600 different opinion on teak deck maintenance...!

;-)

I had my previous 38 re-decked and the 47 too, so I know how expensive is the teak. I never use chemichal on my teak, I am very scared about the effect they have on the caulking. I do not trust products which promise years and years of perfection. 

Water and a soft cloth, this is my "receipe". 

A very very light sanding every few years, and when I say "light" I mean getting rid of less than 1 mm. . Just to clean the surface.

Fair winds!

matteo (47/069 Vanessa)

Hi, 

Do you sand your teak deck with machine or manually?

BR, 

Jere

37 #12

• Threads : 1701
  • Members: 820
  • Online Members: 0