Do you want to be informed on new Posts on this Thread? (members only)

S&S Swan General - Swan 44 emergency tiller
07 July 2021 - 07:21

Swan 44 emergency tiller

Hi everyone,

I have tested the emergency tillers which came with my boat; for some reason i have two, one is "L" shaped which must face bacwards to clear the wheel and another is "Y" shaped and includes dismantle-able arms which sit parallel to the wheel.

However neither of the sockets on the tillers fit into the head of the rudder stock, sockets are 39mm and square head on rudder stock is 40mm; so to cut a long story short i will make a new one.

The old ones are made of stainless steel but i think i will make the new one out of aluminium to be lighter and easier to handle.

I'm not sure which of the designs i should copy so i would apreciate any advice or information on what design of emergency tillers work for you.

It would also be interesting to know what would have originally been supplied by Nautor and I'm curious to work out how the mis-matched sizes occurred; could it be that my rudder stock has been changed along the years?

Thanks in advance,

dav

07 July 2021 - 07:28

Hi Dav,

here you are.

More pics of installed Emegrency Tiller after the week end

Fair winds!

matteo (47/069 Vanessa)

07 July 2021 - 16:37

Hi Dav,

here you are.

More pics of installed Emegrency Tiller after the week end

Fair winds!

matteo (47/069 Vanessa)

Thank you Matteo,

One of mine is identical to yours. 

Would this be original from Nautor?

I guess that this means that my rudder stock must have been changed along the years so it no longer fits.

Have you ever tested how it works?

regards,

dav

07 July 2021 - 16:45

Dear Dav,

yes, will post photo and a short video on our youtube channel after the week end.

Fair winds!

matteo (47/069 Vanessa)

07 July 2021 - 17:57

Dear dav and Matteo

Would like to point out that steering a yacht this size with a tiller is no easy matter, because the wheel steering corresponds to an equivalent tiller with  4.89 m (16 ft) length. The 47 incidentally has the same tiller length
The recommendation for strong winds is to have a short vertical tube attached  to a horizontal tube behind the wheel at about coaming height, the length slightly more than wheel diameter, and from each end lines taken to coaming winches
Kind regards
Lars

12 July 2021 - 10:38

Dear Dav and All,

here you are, a few images of the Emergency Tiller, installed (PLEASE be warned, the cap  must be checked at least once per year, as it maybe jammed, so unscrew it and possibly grease it):

Fair winds!

matteo (47/069 Vanessa)

14 July 2021 - 08:51

Dear Dav and All,

here you are, a few images of the Emergency Tiller, installed (PLEASE be warned, the cap  must be checked at least once per year, as it maybe jammed, so unscrew it and possibly grease it):

Fair winds!

matteo (47/069 Vanessa)

Hi Matteo,

Thank you so much for this.

My emergency tiller is exactly like your so im guessing that it may be a Nautor original?

I didnt realise that the "D" shaped fitting was the key to open the cap! mine was quite jammed but i have cleaned it and used lots of tefgel when refitting; fully agree that this is somthing to check once a year.

Now i need to figure out why it does not fit on the rudder stock.

Would you kindly be able to send me the measurements of the top of the rudder stock and the socket of the emergency tiller please?

regards,

david

14 July 2021 - 11:00

Dear Dav,

yes, correct, the original one! Sure, will send after the week end (I am now in office, no comment, this is a sailing season, not a working one!)

:-)

Fair winds,

matteo (47/067 Vanessa)

14 July 2021 - 16:45

Dear all

Here a system where winches on the coaming are used to increase emergency steering force in strong winds.
Lines to be led each side through eyes on the coaming ensuring that the lines arrive to the winches from an angle below horizontal. Otherwise the winch causes overriding trouble.
It is advisable to check the torque strength of the emergency tiller vertical tube, as it is made for manual use, which gives much lower loads.
Kind regards
Lars

18 July 2021 - 12:18

Dear Dav,

top of rudder stock is 38 mm.

In case the original D shaped key to open the cap is too small and uncomfortable, you can think of having one custom made, as I did, cheap and I think more manageable in bad weather condition, please see attached.

By the way, I posted a short video on our youtube channel (click youtube button, top right).

Fair winds!

matteo (47/069 Vanessa)

• Threads : 1698
  • Members: 820
  • Online Members: 1