Do you want to be informed on new Posts on this Thread? (members only)

S&S Swan General - Swan 55 Yawl, Waterline.
21 January 2022 - 11:45

Swan 55 Yawl, Waterline.

I'm considering to have Gandalf Wight Sorcerer (ex Tauranga) Swan 55/012 repainted.

The current water line is drawn some 20 cm above actual sea level, so I have anti fouling being applied higher that what it should be, also the line appear to rise too high towards the bow, giving the impression that the boat is stern heavy. 

The yard proposes to launch the boat, take measumerments and repaint according to those. We will probably to this as a reference in any case. 

The question here is: is there an original drawing, or some geometric reference that indicates where the water line should be by design?  

It would be great to be able to compare the two and adjust any skewed wight and balance rather than painting the water line to that.

Lars, dear Professor, any help as usual much much appreciated. I really treasure this forum!

Fair winds to all.

Michele

waterline

21 January 2022 - 11:47

Dear Michele,

suggest you look on "technical papers", where there is the document (S&S boot top shape, by Lars Ström) you are looking for, with all details!

Fair winds,

matteo (47/069 Vanessa)

21 January 2022 - 16:56

Hi Michelle,

we are having Kairo's hull repainted in February, too.

What I understand from our boatyard is that the paint is not meant to be constantly be in contact with water. I.e. it's not suitable for e.g. the bottoms of cockpit locker where there is some likelyhood of standing water for prolonged time. Apparently the paint will eventually blister if it's constantly wet/submerged ...

The same applies to the waterline, reportedly - when the boat is floating the paint should not be submerged hence the waterline would always be somewhat higher than the water thus showing the antifouling.

We have opted for ALEXSEAL two-component paint but I understand that this is similar for others such as AWLGRIP.

Have attached a photo of Kairos (current/old water line), the waterline position doesn't look too diffeerent, I'd think?

Not sure if this is helpful,

fair winds

Stefan

Kairos - 57/043

Kairos in Dun Laoghaire, Ireland

24 January 2022 - 13:54

Thanks Matteo, will look.

I could not find when I looked before posting.

Hope I'll luckier this time!

Fair Winds

Michele

24 January 2022 - 13:55

Thanks Stefan!

Will bear in mind!

Kind Regards

Michele

• Threads : 1701
  • Members: 820
  • Online Members: 0