Do you want to be informed on new Posts on this Thread? (members only)

Sail & Rigging - Halyard arrangement on 47
03 June 2022 - 17:33

Halyard arrangement on 47

Dear friends, 

Can anyone clarify how the halyards were arranged originally in the mast on the swan 47?
On Mallemuk we have the original mast. There are four halyard exits on each site:
Starboard side:
1: Main halyard
2: Starboard Genoa halyard
3: Spinnaker halyard
4: starboard toping lift

Port side
1: 2nd main halyard
2: port genoa halyard
3: Port toping lift
4: Innerforestay halyard

Meaning that the port spinnaker halyard is outside the mast? That is for sure not original (there is of course an entrance for the spinnaker halyard in the top of the mast)

Is seems i have 9 entrance but only 8 exits?

What am i missing?

Best regards
Niels
Mallemuk 47/045

08 June 2022 - 19:45

Hi Neils,

I changed my Nautor rig on Sarabande in 2012, but from memory, the halyard mast exits line up with the relevant turning marks at the mast base. You need to line everything up. I think the highest exit points on the mast are for the port and starboard spinnaker halyards which lead to the outer blocks on the mast head crane. ( this set up allows the most leverage in sweating up a spinnaker hoist) I suspect the the 2nd lowest exits are for Foresail halyards which also require height to facilitate sweating when hoisting. The main halyard should exit in line with your mast based winch, it is important that the halyard sits centrally in the exit and does not chafe on one side. The staysail and Pole halyards are probably lower and will select the correct block at the mast base to go to your chosen winch. Ultimately, you must make sure each halyard exits centrally and does not chafe, from there you can decide where you want to send it. Assume you still have the original nest of winches on deck around the mast which work with the original design. Hope this helps.

Rob

Sarabande 47/029

12 June 2022 - 13:03

Dear Niels,

sorry for my late reply, I missed your post!

On 47/069 we have original mast, seven halyards exits (even if now a different layout as we do not have spinnaker poles/topping lift <we just fly a gennaker and a reacher> ), so:

4 exits on S side (Gennaker/Spinnaker H., Main H., Genoa/Reacher H., Main H.)

3 exits on P side (Gennaker/Spinnaker H., Staysail H, Genoa H.)

Onboard 47/002 Hypatia same exits as ours.

It is possible masts were personalized at origin

Please see attached pics.

Fair winds!

matteo (47/069 Vanessa)

18 June 2022 - 16:22

Dear Niels,

On Grampus, 47/16 I have the original Nautor mast.

There are four slots on both sides.

Starboard: two mainsail, Genoa, Spi

Port: topping lift, staysail, Genoa, Spi.

Fair Winds and Following Seas.

Matteo 45

Grampus due (47/16)

• Threads : 1698
  • Members: 820
  • Online Members: 0