Do you want to be informed on new Posts on this Thread? (members only)

S&S Swan General - Swan 40 Engine out
04 January 2023 - 17:28

Swan 40 Engine out

Hi all. As I am not very experienced with taking out the engine I would like to ask for suggestions.  

To take my propeller shaft I decided to take out the engine. (Yanmar 3jh3e 40hp).  Now that the engine is out I will take the opportunity to change my alternator for Balmar 120 amp or 170 amps, change the belt to serpentine and do the normal maintenance of a 3000 h engine.  

My question is, as the engine  has 20 years and 3000h what should I take the opportunity to do?  Change all the rubber tubes? Change the engine mounts? 

Any advice is appreciated. 

best

Duarte 

Star Swan 40/047

04 January 2023 - 18:24

Dear Duarte,

be very careful with Balmar alternatopr, as they became very hot in a small compartment as ours are, and their protection trick stops the current output until the temperature starts to descend, I have the Balmar 165 Ah (8 years old now) but had to get a special custom made regulator, in order to keep the output at a lower production.

I had my Yanmar out of the boat after 6.000 hrs and 15 years (it is now 23 years old), changed all rubber hoses and had the fresh water circuit dismantled and cleaned, my mechanic told me if he should work on Yanmar only he would be bankrupt!

My engine mounts are still the original (be careful, never buy engine mounts on original, as they have a diferent absorbtion, calculated on a specific engine), and in perfect condition, so I just suggest to check the originality.

Keep us posted, with photos toO!

All best,

matteo (47/069 Vanessa)

05 January 2023 - 12:14

Dear Duarte,

be very careful with Balmar alternatopr, as they became very hot in a small compartment as ours are, and their protection trick stops the current output until the temperature starts to descend, I have the Balmar 165 Ah (8 years old now) but had to get a special custom made regulator, in order to keep the output at a lower production.

I had my Yanmar out of the boat after 6.000 hrs and 15 years (it is now 23 years old), changed all rubber hoses and had the fresh water circuit dismantled and cleaned, my mechanic told me if he should work on Yanmar only he would be bankrupt!

My engine mounts are still the original (be careful, never buy engine mounts on original, as they have a diferent absorbtion, calculated on a specific engine), and in perfect condition, so I just suggest to check the originality.

Keep us posted, with photos toO!

All best,

matteo (47/069 Vanessa)

I fully agree with Matteo on everything he writes and I just want to be sure that his apparent typo is not misunderstood: it is strongly discouraged to use mounts which are NOT exactly as the ones originally installed with the motor.  ...assuming, of course, that the motor was originally installed by professional technicians who knew what they were doing.

There are very serious reasons for this and Matteo correctly mentions them.

Daniel, Luna Menguante, 411/004

05 January 2023 - 12:39

ops, thanks Daniel, yes you are correct, unwanted typo!

matteo

06 January 2023 - 16:32

Dear Duarte,

congratulations on your Yanmar engine -- not only are they very reliable (in my opinion), but you will also find excellent explosion-view drawings for almost any part. That certainly helps if you decide to dismantle something; you will also find the part number if the need arises.

My engine guy (I have a Yanmar 4JH2DTE) recently suggested as basic maintenance if the engine "is taken out anyway" (that is, in addition to the regular change of oil, filters, impeller, v-belt, possibly cooling water):
- check all rubber hoses, they can become hard as tubes. Replace if necessary.
- check all rubber joints, they can become thin/soft.
- clean all coolers (my engine has 3 for water, oil and air).
- check electric cables for wear and corrosion; replace if required.
- check engine for corrosion, if found, clean and repaint spot.
- check engine "room" if paint conservation is required.

He also suggested to check the compression and the valvetrain, or rather he suggested for me to have it done (by him or someone who knows what they are doing, which he considers me not to be, and rightly so).

Hoping for a successful work,
Martin (Vellamo, 48/039)

07 January 2023 - 09:34

Regarding the engine mounts: I recall Lars once explaining in -- literally -- graphic detail some of the reasons why one should stick to the original specifications of the mounts (which the original parts naturally do). If you consider replacing the mounts, check the following thread:

www.classicswan.org/forum/post_thread.php?thread=1560

Best regards,
Martin

08 January 2023 - 20:40

Dear Duarte,

Two additional suggestions. Mine is a 110hp Yanmar, about 10 yrs old and working perfectly. However, on arriving in the Cap Verdes in november the exhaust hose, which passes behind the engine in a 90° turn, started leaking so that kooling water flushed into the boat. There is a steel spiral in the laminate and it looked as it har "shewed" through. Replace that hose.

Another very important thing: If you dismantle the coupling on the propshaft, then after having assembled everything again, put a hose clamp on the shaft an inch or two forward of the gland. 

Many boats have sunk when the coupling has worked loose (there is no such thing as perfect alignement) and the prop shaft disapears aft out in the ocean.

Cheers from Mats @ Hermia II

08 January 2023 - 20:47

Dear Mats,

thanks for wise suggestion about the hose clamp!!!

All best,

matteo (47/069 Vanessa)

20 January 2023 - 09:23

Dear All,

Thank you so much for your time and wise and experienced comments.

They all make sense to me. Unfortunatly I think I am not going to keep my old engine. 

On my old engine I need to replace the heat exchanger (corroeded case due to a not treated leakaged) 2000€. Thens I need to replace my 55amp alternator to a stronger one, change the pulley to sperpentine and fit the external regulator, 2200€. I also need to change the engine mounts 750€. I also need to change some gaskets, house pipes, and do a maintnace. at least 1000€. This if I do not find any bigger problem with the engine like a low compression issue. So in total at least I was going to spend on a 20 year old engine 5950€. 

For 7600€ I can buy a more modern yanmar with 300hours and 2 years direct from the local distributor. And If I sell my old engine the difference will be even less.

So I belive this is a no question.

Lets see...

20 January 2023 - 10:27

Dear Duarte,

it looks a very good bargain, and you would not have to wait for months to get a brand new one (I am told delivery of Yanmar nowadays could take 4/6 months, argh!), let us know!

All best and fair winds!

matteo (47/069 Vanessa)

14 February 2023 - 12:48

Semi-new engine is beeing fited now. 

• Threads : 1701
  • Members: 820
  • Online Members: 1