Do you want to be informed on new Posts on this Thread? (members only)

S&S Swan Maintenance - Vinyl linings
01 March 2024 - 17:16
#1
Join Date: 30 January 2007
Posts: 461

Vinyl linings

I am replacing all the vinyl linings of the internal roofs of my 1977 411.  Apparently the best choice seems to use "foam-backed" lining with a foam of 4mm or so; I wonder if someone has already done such work and has some suggestions on material, producers, color and so on.

I (actually my wife :-) ) has already started the job which does not look too difficult but it is indeed very time consuming and needs a lot of patience and tons of 6mm stainless steel staples...

Daniel. 411/004 Luna Menguante

05 March 2024 - 17:14
#2
Join Date: 05 August 2010
Posts: 162

Dear Daniel,

you are right, the job is time-consuming rather than difficult. I've replaced the linings two years ago, and I can well remember ...

I have used a lining with a thin felt back in a light off-white color; the product-&-color code with our local distributor SVB is 14964 which should work with the link below. The manufacturer ist Italian, I think.
NB there is a second product by the same manufacturer which has a much stronger back lining (called "polsterstoff" rather than "bezugsstoff"; this seems to be suggested for furniture rather than the overhead lining.

I am happy with the material and the color, but I am pretty sure I never saw the original lining anyway; I think the previous owner changed the lining in the 80s.

Best wishes,

Martin

 

https://www.svb.de/de/italvipla-bezugsstoff-riviera-cremeweiss.html

18 March 2024 - 08:59
#3
Join Date: 06 January 2012
Posts: 67

I'll agree with Martin, I used the same material from SVB about 3 years ago in our forecabin. We just removed the old lining off from the plywood. I decided to use those original plywoodpanels as their condition and fitment is perfect and their final shape is 3-dimensional when installed. This means that that possible tiny errors done when copying the original ones would show immediately.  I then epoxied both sides of the plywood parts with West epoxy just to waterproof them against possible future leaks. Just in case. Used stainless staples. The result is shown below.

 

IHe, 431 CAID

Just before final installation

  • Threads : 1701
  • Posts : 10215
  • Members: 820
  • Online Members: 2