Do you want to be informed on new Posts on this Thread? (members only)

S&S Swan General - Cowl vent?
29 April 2024 - 05:24

Cowl vent?

Hi,

I tried searching for a 5.5 inch diameter air intake vent / cowl for a Swan 47 with no luck.

Anybody knows of a source that sells large enough air intake cowls. This is for the bow. Any ideas welcome. Attached a pic of a similar item .

Peter

29 April 2024 - 05:40

Dear Pater,

Vetus Marine.

Fair winds,

matteo (47/069 Vanessa)

29 April 2024 - 12:55

Hi Peter,

we replaced all the vents on Kairos as part of a major refit in 2021, all acquired from Vetus as Matteo mentioned. 

The size and dimensions seem to have remained unchanged and the vents were therefore a straight replacement except that our old vents had an aluminium base with aluminium fasteners to hold the vent in place. The new Vetus wents came with a plastic base and fasteners.

Our yard left the aluminium bases in place and just installed the new vents with the plastic fasteners.

After we lost two forward vents in relative moderate weather we found that the threads of the base and fasterners must have changed - the new plastic fasteners did only grip on the top few threads of the old aluminium base and then they jammed, leaving the vent with a slight wobble i.e. not properly secured. Hence we lost them relatively easily when we took some water over.

Unfortunately, the yard had already disposed off the old vents with the old aluminium fasteners hence we had to no choise but to replace the aluminium bases with the new plastic ones. Luckily (if I recall correctly) the screw pattern was the same, so no additional holes required.

Not sure if the above holds true vor all sizes and types of Vetus wents but maybe something worth checking when you install.

Fair winds 

Stefan

SY Kairos (57/043)

01 May 2024 - 20:44

Thank you for the info!

My boat already had the plastic version - which unfortunately broke, thus the need to replace. The metal version would've been stronger!

I'll see if I can find a reseller which has the right sizes.

/Peter

01 May 2024 - 21:31

If somebody is looking for a metal version:

https://www.fisheriessupply.com/vetus-denouden-traditional-stainless-steel-cowl-vents-red-interior/jer316r

Just came across this, made out of stainless steel.

/Peter

• Threads : 1715
  • Members: 823
  • Online Members: 0