Do you want to be informed on new Posts on this Thread? (members only)

S&S Swan General - How can I look up the original name of a Swan?
03 April 2010 - 00:30

How can I look up the original name of a Swan?

I'm now in the final stages of my Swan 37 purchase. She's passed sea trail, survey and everything is agreed upon. I'm just waiting to do the final paperwork next week. Anyway, the current name of the boat is "the world is mad" which isn't really my cup of tea. I was trying to think of a good name but I thought maybe that she might have had a previous name I could use.  It says "Swan 37 No 15" in the tag above the companion way. That's all the information I currently have. Is there some place I can look to see if she had another name at some point? Thanks.

03 April 2010 - 08:58

Dear Jakkerwock,

original name of 37/015 was COLUMBINE.

Fair winds!

Matteo (38/067 Only You)

05 April 2010 - 16:39

Hi Matteo,

Thanks for the information.  It’s actually pretty interesting because it gives me one idea why the boat might have been renamed "the world is mad". The word Columbine here in the US always brings to mind the Columbine massacre. Almost no one knows about the flower.   My guess is after the incident the owner or next owner renamed her as a kind of odd reference to both the previous name and the massacre itself.  I remember there being a lot of talk about how crazy it was that school children would kill other school children. This is of course just a guess but when I told my friend the previous name he instantly thought the same thing so it may not be too far from the truth.

05 April 2010 - 19:35

Dear Jabberwock,

I didn't know about the massacre, but sounds the reason why they changed the name...

Hope you find her in good condition and buy her!

Fair Winds!

Matteo (38/067 Only You)

28 August 2013 - 22:56

When I was familiar with the Boat is was owned by RK, he took possession of the boat in approx 1983 an named it The World is Mad, when he got it it was a yard queen for a few years and needed alot of TLC and RK being the maticulous individual he was spent countless hours repairing and bringing her back to the form you see today. He was a successful and avid racer with a  good crew, he sold her sometime in the late 90's I rember a conversatation with a fellow skipper who asked RK why he sold his boat his response "Because I could"

28 August 2013 - 22:58

The Name had nothing to do with the Columbine shooting just coincidence

• Threads : 1707
  • Members: 821
  • Online Members: 1