Do you want to be informed on new Posts on this Thread? (members only)

Sail & Rigging - Spinnaker Set Up
29 April 2010 - 09:53

Spinnaker Set Up

I am almost embarassed to post this having sailed for 45 years and raced many types of yachts however I thought it couldnt hurt to get some advice on the spinnaker set up for a Swan 57.

Mine has not had spinnakers for years and although there is a bit of gear aboard I would be very interested to know anyones experienece.

i.e. spinnaker pole downhaul, where to lead, back to where, 2:1 or direct, the lead of the guys (the sheets are obvious), gybing technique with one pole ( would have to be dip pole).

We hope to be in Sardinia this year and so it could help.

I am also looking for a second hand downwind light to medium spinnaker for sale if anyone knows of one.

Thank you

Graham

Nakesa, Madeira

01 May 2010 - 14:01

Graham

There is a deck eye near the bow for the downhaul (foreguy in S&S notation), from there it is led back to a free halyard winch. Originally it was direct, but 2:1 is an alternative.

For the aft guys there are blocks on the toe rail amidships, from there to the primary sheet winches.

Dip pole jibing was at the time considered a demanding manoeuvre for racing crews only, and the yacht was set up for two pole jibing, with mast bells, lifts, guys and sheets doubled.

Kind regards

Lars

16 June 2010 - 20:46

You should also consider trying an asymmetric spinnaker tacked to the bow stem fitting with a short tack line.  This set up does not require a pole with all of it's associated control lines, and no after guy is required.  It is also easier to gybe.

I use an asymmetric spinnaker on my boat and it has proven to be very fast and much easier (from a crew stand point) to hoist, fly, gybe, take down).  I still have a symmetric spinnaker with pole but find that I do not use this set up as much.

Good Luck,

Hiro

31 January 2011 - 23:09

I normally race a Swan 53, if you are in the UK and on the South Coast I would be very happy to show you how we set up both our symmetric and asymmetric spinnakers.
andrewljameson@gmail.com

• Threads : 1708
  • Members: 821
  • Online Members: 0